Suggestions for additional fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a 20 gallon high that's been set up and cycled for around a year now. I love my fish and how they interact and was wanting to add something else. I would love to hear suggestions on what I could add. Right now I have 5 Panda Cory's, 5 Golden Zebra Danios, 2 Sunburst Platys(same sex), 2 Zebra Nerite Snails, 1 Tracked Nerite Snail and 1 Horned Nerite Snail. I have a few live plants, but want to add more soon. I have a homemade CO2 system. I'm running 2 Marineland Penguin 150B filters, a bubble wall on the side and 2 heaters keeping the temp at 77. The ph is 7.6, 0 ammonia, 0 NO2, 20 NO3. I do 6 gallon water changes every week and fast one day per week. The fish in there now are very happy and healthy and I do not want to take any chances on putting in a wildcard fish. I wanted to put in a honey gourami or dwarf gourami but I don't want to risk them being aggressive and ruining what I've got. So if there isn't anything that can safely be put in I am okay with keeping it as it is. Also I would prefer not to put in another school cause that would over stock me. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments.

I have had many dwarf gouramis and never experienced an aggressive one. It would make a nice centre piece for your tank as well. The ones that have the red and blue vertical stripes would really eye catching. You could also add an electric blue ram

I have had many dwarf gouramis and never experienced an aggressive one. It would make a nice centre piece for your tank as well. The ones that have the red and blue vertical stripes would really eye catching. You could also add an electric blue ram

Blue rams can be aggressive but I think it depends on the tankmates. Careful on the dwarf gourami. I have a sunburst gourami and he usually goes after my blue ram and balloon molly. In an experiment I put the gourami in a net and the other fish showed better signs of health. So, I will be giving him away soon. In the past Ive had the dwarf blue gourami with the cool maze/ribbon-like patterns on the side of the fish and it wasnt aggressive with tankmates. I wonder if the type/color of dwarf gourami makes any difference. Goodluck!

I would almost want to stay away from dwarfs as I've read a lot about the health problems they have because of the dwarfing. The honey gourami is not a dwarf but stays under 4 inches, but I don't know anyone who has owned one before. If anyone has ever owned a honey gourami I'd really like to know how they do with tankmates such as mine and whether or not it would be a good idea for me to put one in my tank? Thank you.

Honey gourami are extremely peaceful and generally max out at around 2 inches. They would be great with your stock but I'd probably just stick with one. They can be a little timid sometimes at feeding time so just make sure the danios and platies aren't eating everything in sight, or maybe just feed the gourami at the other end of the tank. If you do decide to get one I'd highly recommend getting some easy floating plants if you don't have any already as honey gourami hang out a lot near the top and appreciate the cover.

Thank you Azmodan. I will look into getting a honey gourami and some floating plants. I do worry a little about the feeding. The danios are crazy at feeding time and the platys get everything that starts to sink. Every one of them try to grab the sinking pellets I drop in for the Cory's. I've even seen one danio put one in his mouth and every now and again he would spit it out and then suck it back in. He eventually gave up after I think he realized he was too small to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom