suggestions for fish for brand new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1873teddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Currently running a fishless cycle in my tank which is 28 US gallons, I would like to stock the tank with colourful fish & wondered what recommendations/suggestions people have for it, initially I will introduce cardinal & glowlight tetra & would like guppies & at some point a siamese fighting fish, what other suggestions do you have to make the tank as lively & colourful but peaceful within?

Many thanks!!!

1873teddy said:
Hi,

Currently running a fishless cycle in my tank which is 28 US gallons, I would like to stock the tank with colourful fish & wondered what recommendations/suggestions people have for it, initially I will introduce cardinal & glowlight tetra & would like guppies & at some point a siamese fighting fish, what other suggestions do you have to make the tank as lively & colourful but peaceful within?

Many thanks!!!

You could do:
1-2 Female Betta
7 Cardinal or Glowlight Tetra
4-5 male / female guppies
5 Pygmy or panda cory

Just be careful with the tetras because they might nip the fins of the guppies. I didn't put in male bettas because they either attack or are a victim of attack and do not suit community tanks. They do better off on their own in a 5 gallon... :)

My selection (colorful & somewhat exotic)

3-4 mickey mouse plattys some of the have combination of two colors
3-6 neon tetras
1-3 emerald catties (they also help to keep the bottom clean)
depending on if you want exotic fish here is my lists

1-2 boesemani Rainbow
1-3 Pseudomugil Rainbow
3-5 calico platty
3-6 purple snowflake guppy

I have 2 dwarf gourami one being neon blue and they're beautiful and are peaceful with my guppies and neons too. I think they are a great addition if your looking for a colourful tank.

Hi,

Many thanks!!!
A ton of things! Other Tetras, other livebearers, maybe cories.... the list is endless (almost). Have you seen any other fish that caught your eye?

It's best if you look around for a cool fish, then come back, and ask if it is compatible with what you already have/want.

ML42 said:
3-6 neon tetras

1-2 boesemani Rainbow
1-3 Pseudomugil Rainbow
3-5 calico platty

bosemani rainbows need to be in schools of 6+ and they also get too large for a 28 gallon.
The emerald cories also need to be in a school ! :)

ML42 said:
3-6 neon tetras

1-2 boesemani Rainbow
1-3 Pseudomugil Rainbow
3-5 calico platty

The first list would work of properly done
That means six neons, six cories, and one male platy with three females or all males
The second would not
I reccomend-
6- neon tetra
1- silver Molly male
1- black Molly male
6- peppered Cory
1- blue guppy male
1- red guppy male
1- yellow guppy male
1- orange guppy male
6- glofish(if you like that sort of thing if you don't up the neon school to twelve or add a school of six silvertip or penguin tetras)

A couple more options for you include purple passion danios, von Rio tetras, diamond tetras, Bentosi tetras, kerrie blue tetras, kuhli loaches, panda garra, julii cories, and pearl danios.
There really are quite a few options (as stated). If you want to stick with your original choices, IMO you can easily do 6 cards, 6 glowlights, 4 guppies, and 6 cories plus 3 otocinclus catfish. I do not suggest a fighting fish with guppies. It tends to end poorly because the fighters will often react to the colorful guppy tails.
No silvertips in a tank that size. ;)

absolutangel04 said:
A couple more options for you include purple passion danios, von Rio tetras, diamond tetras, Bentosi tetras, kerrie blue tetras, kuhli loaches, panda garra, julii cories, and pearl danios.
There really are quite a few options (as stated). If you want to stick with your original choices, IMO you can easily do 6 cards, 6 glowlights, 4 guppies, and 6 cories plus 3 otocinclus catfish. I do not suggest a fighting fish with guppies. It tends to end poorly because the fighters will often react to the colorful guppy tails.
No silvertips in a tank that size. ;)

Oh sorry about that theyre on my 90 stocklist and I keep forgetting that's 90 gals not 25 or so
Lol

There are some excellent suggestions there, I have been looking at the images of them & some stunning fish, I am really open.to whatever the more experienced aquarium owners have had.

So if anyone has any others which haven't been listed, I would be very grateful to hear.

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on my thread!!!

There are some excellent suggestions there, I have been looking at the images of them & some stunning fish, I am really open.to whatever the more experienced aquarium owners have had.

So if anyone has any others which haven't been listed, I would be very grateful to hear.

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on my thread!!!
Funny thing about it is, sooner or later (For me it was sooner) you are going to get some fish that is not on your planned stock list. I had a planned stock list, and I didn't get any fish for the tank that I had pre-planned. It's just the way it goes.

phoenixkiller said:
Funny thing about it is, sooner or later (For me it was sooner) you are going to get some fish that is not on your planned stock list. I had a planned stock list, and I didn't get any fish for the tank that I had pre-planned. It's just the way it goes.

Not always lol. It has happened to me before though. I think the cause of it was that I couldn't find any of the planned fish locally. It depends on your ability to resist impulse buys and local availability (if you don't plan to order online)

phoenixkiller said:

Haaha mee to . I never had any of the fish I wanted in my list lol!

May also want to consider Endlers instead of Guppies. Adds a different flare of metallic colors and uniqueness IMO.

If you have a good fish store near you, I suggest going there and writing down what you like. Then, you can research those species at home to see what would be compatible with your tank size.

Here is my tank all fully planted, putting my first stock in next weekend, really happy with how it looks! :)

ForumRunner_20120617_032600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom