Suggestions for my first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALittleSalty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I guess to start with should describe my current setup. I am currently running a 29 Long with an UG filter and a Pengiun Bio Wheel filter. I am using black coated epoxy gravel and the usual array of plastic plants with a nice huge tree root structure in the middle of the tank. I am running the stock perfecto hood with 20 watt bulb.

My current livestock consists of 5 glowlight tetras, 3 chinese barbs (2 males,1 female of which is pregnant, but cant get her to spawn), 1 angelfish (4" tall), 1 anglefish (1.5" tall), Cory Cat, Rubbermouth Pleco.

I tried the planted tank a few years ago, but do to lack of research I failed in the typical newbie fashion. After looking at my saltwater tank and seeing the natural processes and look of it, I think I really want a planted tank that looks natural not fake.

I am going to remove the UG filter and the bio wheel. I am looking at changing out the substrate to Eco-Complete, using a Hagen Aquaclear 30 filter, Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System on the tank. For lighting I was looking at the Current USA Dual Satelite Compact Fluorescent System in the 24" model with dual 65 watt bulbs. I will be changing the stock bulbs out for two 6700K Sun Paq Daylight bulbs.

Now for my plant stock, I was looking at the following for the tank: Moneywart; Anacharis; Brazillian Sword; and some Micro Sword or Dwarg Hairgrass.

Do you think these would do well in my tank wiith the lighting and filtration system???

I was was planning on heavily planting one side of the tank with taller plants, and using the tree root to seperate the other side. The other side would mainly have the micro sword or dwarf hairgrass and maybe a few smaller plants. That way I can still have some open swimming space for the fish. I apologize for the long post, but I am trying to find out all I can so that I can get my tank back to the way I always invisioned it. Thanks Jon

Welcome to the forum Jon!!
Your 'floor plan' sounds really interesting and should look great when it takes off.
Is the tree root real or a man made material? Just curious about that.
Taking out the bio-wheel and the UGF are good ideas when considering a planted tank.
The Hagen AquaClear..... is that an HOB filter? If so, I would consider something else that will not create surface disturbance which will work against you from a CO2 perspective.
An internal or external cannister would be a better choice than any type of HOB.

The CF hood that you are considering is a good choice, IMO. But you need to be aware that that will give you a ton of light over that tank. Just under 4.5 wpg. That kind of light is going to necessitate a ton of plants, some of which should be floaters to help use nutrients and shade the tank initially while it matures.
I would highly recommend that you consider a pressurized CO2 system to push the TON of plants you will need right from the get-go, and get your ferts. ready right from the start as well.
Again, that is a lot of light for an experienced Aquarist and for a Newbie you will have to have all of your ducks in a row and ready to go.
You will be hearing the word balance frequently if you go forward with this venture. It refers to balancing nutrients, fish load, plant mass with the light supplied. Everything revolves around the lighting. And the more light, the less forgiving the tank will be. Less light is much easier to deal with.
If you were to ask me, I would suggest 1/2 the amount that you intend to get, learn how to handle that, and then add more later if desired.
I'm not trying to scare you. Just to give you a heads up on what you are about to set before yourself.
Good luck.

Len

Good advice from djlen3. If you want to try using DIY CO2 then only use 1 of the 2 CF bulbs in the fixture you plan to get. It MAY be enough. I would also suggest Flourish tablets to amend your eco-complete at initial setup.

Most of your planned plants will do fine under the lower light other than the micro sword and hairgrass. Both of those are "iffy" at the ~2wpg one 65watt bulb will give.

I'd add flourish excel and another hagen CO2 to your setup. keep your water level high, and take off the biowheel

That Hagen system isn't going to provide enough CO2 for your size tank. You'd need about 6 of them to get sufficient CO2 levels. You'd be much better off building a DIY CO2 setup with about three 2 Liter bottles or using Pressurized CO2.

Since the Current fixtures have two switches, you can leave one of the lights off while you get used to having a planted tank and then turn the other one on when you're ready for a wild ride. You could also go with a daylight bulb and a 50/50 bulb, which would give you 97watts of usable light and would be a nice in between lighting level for your tank.

It's definately possible to use HOB filters with planted tanks, and the AquaClears are definately the ones that I see recommended most often. Just make sure that the water level stays up so that you don't get splashing as the water returns to the tank. They can also be used as an excellant method for diffusing your CO2.

Thanks for the info guys. As for the tree root it is an artificial peice that I would love to get some moss to grow on it. After searching some more, I came across the info on the brazilian sword not being aquatic freindly. This tanks has been up for over 4 years so I am ready to give it the attention that it deserves.

So after reading everyones info and doing some more research I think I am going to go with a coralife single strip bulb in 64 watts to start with. I already have the aquaclear, so I will use that for now. I do have an old Fluval 404, but I think it puts out too much flow for this tank.

My next question is in regards to the Dwarf Hairgrass and Micro sword. Do these rquire lots of lighting to grow properly. I would like to get a kinda of mat of grass growing on the open side of the tank if possible. Thanks again Jon

Both of those plants are light loving, especially the sword. With medium to medium high light it can be tricky to get a nice carpet going. I'd recommend giving it a try and seeing how it works out. Another option that doesn't require as much light is Dwarf Sag. You could definately get a nice carpet going using it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom