suggestions for our 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennMc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a tank with glass catfish (4), 3 each of male and female guppies, one apple snail and a few shrimp. We plan to get 2-3 more male guppies and are aware we'll end up with fry at some point. We're just wondering if we should add any other types of fish and if so, suggestions?

We just gave away a very aggressive dwarf gourami as it was killing the guppies, so want something more peaceful. Aqadvisor says we're at 82%.

We have a tank with glass catfish (4), 3 each of male and female guppies, one apple snail and a few shrimp. We plan to get 2-3 more male guppies and are aware we'll end up with fry at some point. We're just wondering if we should add any other types of fish and if so, suggestions?

We just gave away a very aggressive dwarf gourami as it was killing the guppies, so want something more peaceful. Aqadvisor says we're at 82%.

My suggestion would be to not keep 6 male and 3 female guppys, this is the opposite ratio of what is recommended. They are such active breeders that it is suggested to keep a 1m:2f ratio or you risk the males stressing out the females to death. Is your tank a regular 20g or 20g long?

Also, AqAdvisor isn't all that accurate IMO. It once said I could have a dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, 2 male guppies and two german blue rams in a ten gal.

Thanks for the opinions about the guppies and aqadvisor. We have a regular 20good tank. Maybe we should just get more female and male guppies!

You could do a honey gourami or a sword tail as a centerpiece fish. I wouldn't stock too much more if you are planning to have the guppies breed. Also, you an do a bnp or a rubberlip pleco. They are fun.
A small school of harlequin rasboras perhaps? They are a calmer, peaceful schooler that won't annoy your glass cats.

Thanks, I will investigate those suggestions, we did see some nice swordtails at one of our lfs. Though one of our females appears pregnant so we may not add anything :)

Back
Top Bottom