Suggestions for Starting up my FW Collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reading both threads I can say with certainty it isn't all happening. Firstly I'm not sure you understand the physical space these tanks (multiple 1,000 plus gallons tanks) would theoretically occupy, nor the monumental time spent in maintaining them, completely ignoring the hundreds of thousands of dollars it would take to make it all happen.

Hey prove me wrong, I would love to see you do so, but I've been around long enough to distinguish those who talk the talk and those who walk...

After reading both threads I can say with certainty it isn't all happening. Firstly I'm not sure you understand the physical space these tanks (multiple 1,000 plus gallons tanks) would theoretically occupy, nor the monumental time spent in maintaining them, completely ignoring the hundreds of thousands of dollars it would take to make it all happen.

Hey prove me wrong, I would love to see you do so, but I've been around long enough to distinguish those who talk the talk and those who walk...
Figured someone like you would come along :) (not being rude, sorry if I came across as it)

First off, where I live in NC, there's a lot of big houses on big lots for small prices. Decent houses too - I'm set with that. Lawyers make LOTS of money - I'm not going into trial law, but some trial lawyers make 40 MILLION a YEAR. I'd be looking at something closer to 150-200K, which saving a quarter or half of that over 3-4 years could cover all of this I suppose. So financial and physical space isn't much of a problem.

The only REAL thing is time, but I'm making all of these as low-maintenance as possible. Like I have said, a lot of the saltwater tanks will be partially (FOWLR) or fully (reef) automated. The FW tanks will all be drilled (water changes become a LOT easier), and they will almost all run on sponge filters hooked up to a central air system. The planted tanks will be a little bit of work, but they're going to be low-tech for simplicity (all about keeping things simple).

On top of all that, I have family that have worked in construction for 20 years, which helps out with building most larger things (ie the 5,000 gallon tank that will be concrete, following a build I have found on MFK). Glass tanks will be bought used, and I'm pretty crafty with DIY things which will really cut down on costs and amp up efficiency.

All the walls of the fish room will be insulated with 2" styrofoam on the walls, and 1.5" on the floow and ceiling - this means a lot LESS heaters and a way lower energy bill, as heaters are pretty expensive to run once you work it all out - if I follow 5 WPG on the 5K tank, that's 25,000 watts of heaters which would cost around $35,000 to run a year and that's just for one tank (according to a calculator online). There will be a storage tank converted to a mixing system for dechlorinated water for water changes - it will likely be gravity-fed into the tanks with ball valves and PVC. I've been told to invest in an Eheim gravel cleaner for the larger tanks to use on a regular basis (pretty quick and efficient) and then a Python for finer cleaning every month or so. I plan on using a bathroom vent fan that exits outdoors to get rid of humidity in the room. Finally, the water from water changes will be reused in a garden or something.

Sorry for such a long post lol, but I just wanted to show that I feel I am ready to take on something like this. And with buying used tanks and shopping on Amazon and eBay over a long period of time, I actually feel this won't be too bad to set up (obviously it's not going to be cheap but I have worked out ways to cut costs).

Figured someone like you would come along :) (not being rude, sorry if I came across as it)

Hey, didn't seem rude to me. Maybe I am "that guy" but what I am is a realist. I've been involved in this hobby a long time (fish, snakes, monitors, etc.... I'm 24 and live in upstate SC btw) toss figures around all day, I know the physical time involved in these things. Sounds cool, hope it works out for you, but I've seen a few threads like these never develop. Like I said, prove me wrong, I sincerely hope you do, I live close enough to come up and see the results should such an immaculate setup become reality.

Hey, didn't seem rude to me. Maybe I am "that guy" but what I am is a realist. I've been involved in this hobby a long time (fish, snakes, monitors, etc.... I'm 24 and live in upstate SC btw) toss figures around all day, I know the physical time involved in these things. Sounds cool, hope it works out for you, but I've seen a few threads like these never develop. Like I said, prove me wrong, I sincerely hope you do, I live close enough to come up and see the results should such an immaculate setup become reality.
Hey, I hope I'm right too :cool:

I'd love to have you come up once it's done.
I just found out I got nearly $500 of fishing stuff shipped to me for no cost from my uncle in New York so I'm in a great mood for the night!! Plus he sent me a kayak for xmas... he's a little on the richer side!

I gotta say, this is already pretty well planned out, and the saltwater section is getting there pretty quickly.

For all of you reptile junkies, go check out my thread over there it's lonely :)

Your plan is..... Rather interesting.... I agree with TMRC Though. My pops is a lawyer. My best bud is a lawyer, and avid fish breeder/collector.... Your ideals are a lil offbase.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your plan is..... Rather interesting.... I agree with TMRC Though. My pops is a lawyer. My best bud is a lawyer, and avid fish breeder/collector.... Your ideals are a lil offbase.

I'm confused what this is supposed to mean. Not trying to be rude, just confused.

Your basing being able to do all this off of being a lawyer and being in spacious NC. Well my dad and best bud are lawyers in spacious KS. Best bud is an avid fish collector with many large tanks. Your base ideals for what you wanna do is too far fetched. And im very close to someone who is a good lawyer with big house. Still not enough time/room/money for all that.

What kind? Whats lasted a while?

I'm not sure of the type, they were more of an impulse buy. They lasted around 8 months. I pick up on things easily though so there shouldn't be too much trouble keeping them.

Not to be rude, dont take it that way. 8 months is barely making it out of the gate with discus... Please Do some research. Get realistic. Come back to us with realistic questions and we'll all be helpful. Just seems like your trolling/phishing.... I hope like TMRC that you prove us wrong, just severely doubtful.

Your basing being able to do all this off of being a lawyer and being in spacious NC. Well my dad and best bud are lawyers in spacious KS. Best bud is an avid fish collector with many large tanks. Your base ideals for what you wanna do is too far fetched. And im very close to someone who is a good lawyer with big house. Still not enough time/room/money for all that.

What do you suggest I remove?

Especially since your planning same sized ventures for reps and SW.... I mean, come on dude.

Back
Top Bottom