Suicidal Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChanEKC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I moved a couple months ago and and my fish have been acting weird ever sence, I used to have 7 mollys and I lost 4 of them about 3 weeks after the move, all I could think of was it was stress because I was frequently checking the water and salinity levels and everything was next to perfect. But all of their behavior changed after the move, my once active happy mollys were suddenly withdrawn and we're always hiding. The tank looked empty with my 3 mollys so I got 2 monos 2 weeks ago. Now my orange molly is on the fritz, she only comes out to eat her blood worms but at night I can hear her hitting the hood of the tank! She's been doing it every night and the top of her head is practically bone! I lowered the water a couple inches and it keeps happening so I'm gonna move her to the spare tank cause it's just getting worse. Has this happened to anyone else??

Sounds to me like something has drastically changed with your tank parameters. Could be the water hardness or pH level. But something is different and they don't like it.

Why are u checking salinity levels on your tank? Molly's are freshwater fish? Just curious?

Mollies can be brackish.

Moves can be very stressful, and I agree that it sounds like there has been a change in something in the water. Do they get different light? Different temperature?

No the tank is in a pretty similar place to where it was in the old apartment. I've always kept the temperature at 80 degrees. I keep a close eye on the ph, ammonia and other levels have remained normal aside from the minor ammonia rises from when the other fish died. And yes I keep my mollys in brackish water.
She still occasionally jumps but she seems to have healed up for the most part. I had to change her name from teddy to two-face cause one half is completely bare of scales and it does look like she has some bone that scared over. And the fish that came with me on the move still hide alot, I recently got 2 new mollys to see if it will encourage the other 2 mollys to come out. And I got two face a new hiding hole to try and make her more comfortable.

Attachments

• 20170603_192830.jpg
    20170603_192830.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom