Sump for 180

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi was wondering what size sump for 180 gallon tank. How many chambers should I have planning on macro algae refugium protein skimmer gfo reactor return pump. It's bin awhile change tank size 150g to 180g planning on tangs, so do I need other reactors like phosphate reactor, calcium reactor planning on a mixed reef tank. And what about external pump for sump. Also planning on ato resoviar any suggestion advice on sump filter socks. I visited live-aquaria website and got tank size needed for tangs my build is slow because I want to be shore of equipment setup I want. Thanks

Most people usually have an in section a refugium (where the macro algae grows) and and out section with maybe a bubble trap in between. And size wise bigger is better the more water you can get running through your tank the better quality it will be to be honest

When you look at the size of protien skimmer you are going to get, that is a sump size factor if it's an internal skimmer. Bigger is better for the sump. I wouldn't and don't use filter socks for mine except if I'm doing something that stirs up the sand.

I would go with as large a sump as you can fit under the stand. Make sure you are able to work easily in it and go from there.

My rule has been to have a fuge section aroun 10-15% of display tank volume. Bigger is better and allows for more macro options.

Thank you everyone I will go as big a sump I can fit under stand. I hope for a 180g I can do a 60 gallon sump or should I go bigger. I know skimmer must fit size of sump, and external return pump ok to do.

Back
Top Bottom