Sump for 300 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sloanhaus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a refugium on my 220 and am now upgrading to a 300. The sump is 36 inches long (30 gallon) and has 3 (4 inch) socks. I also have two mp60'sfor flow. Is this sump large enough.

Thanks

Sloan

Certainly. The larger the better, but so long as it will house your equipment, it is big enough.

Unless you plan on making a refugium... then it is probably on the small side to be effective for a 300gal tank.

My skimmer is rated for 1056 gph, is that adequate for a 300 gallon aquarium?

should be. What kind of skimmer is it? The type of skimmer matters in addition to GPH. Sounds pretty large though so it is probably adequate.

This is it, I will see if I can find a better picture online.

image-361753442.jpg

It looks like it might be an old Euro-Reef. Does it have a name on top of the lid? If that's a 30 gallon wet/dry turned into a sump/refugium, I think that skimmer is a bit small for 300 gallons.

Hard to tell scale from the photo for sure, but it seems like a 1056 GPH pump would be way oversized for that size skimmer.

It says Spears on the PVC pipes. Here is a picture of the lid.

image-3195177274.jpg

With all the research I have done, I believe it to be a euro reef RS 250 with an Eco 1056 pump. I don't think this is going to handle my 300.

Agreed. Realistically you would need about 2 of these to keep up with a normally stocked 300g. The 1056 is not GPH, as I am sure you have surmised.

Back
Top Bottom