Sump for freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone direct me to a simple diagram or instructions on what a freshwater sump would need in it (if I constructed it)? I have read a lot on this and I really need instructions for a complete newb. I understand I don't need a skimmer and I don't need a mechanism to eliminate bubbles (I forget what that section is called). I think I'm going to use the herbie method for my overflow and put the drain directly into the water so there's no splashing. I'm just unclear on the exact # of chambers to make a GREAT freshwater sump and what goes in these chambers. Like I said, I'm a newb. The holding tank is 100 gallon and the sump is a 30 gallon. I have yet to divide the 30 gallon tank in any way. Thanks for any advice.

sump layout

for example I have read this online regarding a freshwater tank sump:

"Sump laid out. four sector with first sector being mechanical filtration, second sector bio filtration, third sector chemical filtration and finally return chamber.

Media used: 2 kilo of lava rock, 2 kilo of bio ring, 12 cones of bacteria home, green bio mat, black sponge, German glass wool, biohome plus."

Now I sort of understand that this sump is done in 4 sections. Now, the media used? Is this media they are using within the sump? If so which items of media are going in which sector of the sump? Thanks for any help.

Really its all personal preference. There are many different setups and many claim to be the best but all you need to do is bring water to the sump, run it through your desired filtration methods, and then back to the tank. With that said, when I build my freshwater sumps they will be almost identical to my reef sump (other then the bioballs). If it were me building your sump I would do a wet/dry trickle filter to enter the sump. From there I would mechanically filter with sponges and polyfloss. After that I would dedicate as much room to a refugium as you can before your return chamber which if you want you can drop a bag of chemical media into if you ever need it. For me though after running salt water for so long any chemical media I would run thru a reactor even if its a homemade version that way you get the most out of your media since they tend to be pretty pricey.

sump freshwater

Mrc, do you deal with planted freshwater tanks by any chance? I'm wondering about the wet/dry filter method because it would create a lot of air/splashing and I have read that planted tank and CO2 having this would be bad as it loses CO2. I really do appreciate your post though as it's staring to make some sense . Let me know if you have any thoughts on wet/dry and making use of that if I planned on having a planted tank. Thanks again.

Sorry I don't do planted tanks so I couldnt help with the co2 issues

My understanding is that even the best designed, properly working sump for freshwater is going to gas out some of your CO2. Worst case scenario, you'll lose all the CO2 you try to inject in. The only way to guarantee no loss is to do a closed-loop system like you have in a canister filter, which is a little tough to pull off on a DIY sump. Usually your best case scenario is that you gas out as much as you would if you used a HOB filter.

WetWebMedia.com has a bunch of helpful articles and FAQ sections about sumps & refugiums that might help. Most of it is saltwater focused, but the designs can easily be modified for freshwater: SumpDesFAQ2

I was actually looking into planning a sump/refugium combo for a 400g Oscar tank I'd like to do eventually. I've got a picture a few posts in that shows the layout I was planning for, it might match what you're looking for... No skimmer section, no bubble trap, just your basic design for freshwater: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...efugium-combo-for-400-gallon-tank-212267.html

Hope this helps!

I ran a sump on my planted tank for a while and I won't do it again as long as I'm doing CO2 injection. It was almost impossible for me to keep CO2 in the water. I will personally stick with my closed loop canister setup.

Back
Top Bottom