sump for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elabar4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon tank that is drilled for a sump, I have been trying to do as much reading on them as I can but im still not sure if they are a good idea for a freshwater tank set up. Either way im still going to set up a sump but what are others thoughts on this?

There's nothing wrong with them. I like the idea just because you can hide all of your equipment in them. If you set it up right, you'll have great filtration. You can also set up a refugium chamber to grow plants (if you have plant eating fish) and things of that nature.

Welcome to AA :)

Any idea on the filtration in them, I am coming from saltwater too freshwater and i knew freshwater set up would be different.

A FW sump and a SW sump are pretty much the same thing with the exception of a protein skimmer for the SW. Google "Melev's Reef" and look at his sump page for more information on design.

Think of a sump as a giant HOB or canister filter. You can use the same media in the same order, but you have room for more media and you have more media options. Tupperware storage drawers or Snapware containers would make good media trays.

The set up for FW is not that much different from SW, except no skimmer.

For filtration, I use:
1. Very coarse foam at overflow (pre-filter)
2. Layer of coarse foam under distribution plate, below that is bioballs
3. A single baffle to trap air-bubbles / particulates before the return pump.

You can also look at some of the pond sump designs for ideas. Apart from size, a sump for a koi pond is pretty much the same for a tank ... which is more or less what I have.

Back
Top Bottom