Sump help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 120 reef ready aquarium (dual overflow) using a (I think) Proclear 200 wet/dry filter with bioballs. I have 2 Mag 7 return pumps but am only currently running 1 of them as I think both would give me a dry tank.

The tank is freshwater with African cichlids. This is my first stab at using a sump and am very new to it.

Do I need a bigger sump to accomodate both pumps or can I adjust the flow with a ball valve on one or both?

The sump I have now has 2 fittings for the water going into it. Do I neeed a sump with 2 fittings?

Also, when I feed, a lot of the food goes through the overflow. Any advice on how to prevent this?

Thanks.

How big are the overflows ( 1", 3/4 ", etc). I have a 1" (600 gph) and I need a Mag 9 to even out the flow. So you drain size matters.

Are you feeding flake? For my FW, I wet my finger; dip it in the flakes then release it under the water. The flow from the powerheads drives the flakes to mid tank and below pretty quickly. For the SW, I turn the pumps off when I feed (the FW has no sump).

I think the overflows are 1" and 1 1/4" and using 3/4" lines/tubing.

I'm feeding pellets and freeze dried foods. I may need to soak them beforehand. Thanks for the idea about turning off the pumps.

Back
Top Bottom