Sump help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Droneshooter

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planing on building a sump for my 45gallon tank
Was just wondering what is a good GPH to have through my sump so I know what size pump to buy
Any advice would be appreciated

The return flow will be dictated by the overflow size. If your overflow can move 300gph down tot he sump then you want a pump that can send water back to the tank at about 300gph.

That I under stand but what size pump should I get
I have to pump the water 4and a half feet from the sump to the tank above and then I'll get an over flow to work with the pump

That I under stand but what size pump should I get
I have to pump the water 4and a half feet from the sump to the tank above and then I'll get an over flow to work with the pump

Do it the other way around. I'm currently planning/building a sump the way you are planning and let me tell you it would have been much easier to base your pump off the overflows capability rather than try and match how much water overflows to the pump you bought.

As far as how far it has to pump if that is 4 and a half feet vertically high, get a pump that is rated for a "head" of 5ft or over. It should be clearly labelled on packaging.

Pump rated for 5' isn't enough info. A lot of pumps can push water that high but you need to know how much flow comes out at that height. It decreases due to gravity and friction.

Do you know what diameter plumbing you will use for your return pump? That and overflow rating will tell you what size pump to use.

Google headloss calculator aquarium. There are a few. Play around with the settings. They are easy to use and will give you an idea of what size pump you need. You want to match the overflow as much as possible after headloss.

And mag pumps are popular for return pump use. You may want a mag 5 or mag 7. But depends on overflow.

Thank you that calculator helped a lot and one last question is it fine if my over flow box can handle more than my pump puts out

Depends on the difference in flow. Too little and you will get air buildup in siphon tubes which will eventually break siphon. More flow keeps the air bubbles flushed out of the tube. Unless you attach a aqua lifter to the siphon tube. But aqua lifters aren't always reliable.

Better to get a more powerful pump and put a valve on the return line between pump and display tank to throttle the flow back to match the overflow. Fewer working parts this way.

Edit: this is assuming you are using an HOB overflow and not drilled tank.

Thank you and yeah still looking at over flow boxes any recommendations would be nice
And I think I am gonna go with a mag 7 for my return pump

I don't have experience with the more readily available overflow boxes so I can't recommend one over the other. Maybe either a eshopps or CPR model.

For a mag 7 you will want to use 1" return plumbing. Which means you will need to use reducer bushings to go from the 1/2" mpt connection on the pump.

For the price, quality and reliability eshopps wins for me as far as over flow boxes go. PF -300 would do for a 45 G.

I'd use a mag 7 with a esshopps PF 300 I ran this setup for 3 years and never had a problem (40gl. breeder) The skimmer you picked will work but if it we're me i'd go up to the next size. Reef Octopus NWB150 6

I use a CPR overflow box and also tried the eshopps one. The one with the tubes I could never get to keep siphon going unfortunately. The CPR uses an aqualifter pump to keep the siphon and unless the pump fails you are good to go.

Drill the tank. Don't bother with HOB boxes. Go to www.gl*******s.com and buy an all in one kit. It will even come with the diamond bit. it's super easy and it will never lose siphon, because there is no siphon!

weird...it censored the link It's glass holes.com

That said, a mag 7 is plenty.

My next tank will be drilled for sure but sadly this tank has been up and running for a little now and I've decided to build a sump for it because I don't like looking at all the stuff in the back of my tank

I use a CPR overflow box and also tried the eshopps one. The one with the tubes I could never get to keep siphon going unfortunately. The CPR uses an aqualifter pump to keep the siphon and unless the pump fails you are good to go.

Loosing siphon won't be an issue if you are pushing enough water through the tubes to keep the air bubbles flushed out. Too low of flow and air bubbles accumulate. Get enough air and siphon breaks.

I used to get siphon breaks due to accumulated bubbles running mag7 with 1/2" return lines. Changed to the recommended 1" return lines and no air bubbles in siphon tube in at least a year.

Back
Top Bottom