Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How would you calculate how big a sump you need for your aquarium? I have a 140 and if you dont mind explain it please instead of throwing a number out so ill know just incase the future wants me to have another aquarium. Thanks

There isnt a rule for how big of a sump you need. You need to get as big a sump as will fit under your stand. The bigger the better. It also depends what you want in your sump. Refugium, how big your skimmer is, size of return pump....etc. It is more water volume to keep your parameters stable and a place to put all the junk you dont want in the display tank.

Oh ok I thought there was some kind of rule do u think a 55 gal sump would work good for a 140 gal display?

I'd go with a 40g breeder as a sump. Much better footprint and there's no brace. A 55 has a brace that gets in the way of your equipment.

True i didnt think of that just saying bc im getting a 55 gallon forfree

The 55 gallon sump is still manageable if you plan it right. That's the size I'm using on my tank .

Whatever size sump you choose, be sure to plan exactly on how you will utilize it. Draw your "blueprint" for the best fit under your stand and equipment inside the sump. I have a 40g breeder sump, but I'd rather put a 55g if it could fit under my stand :(

Should i wait to build it atleast until i get my skimmer? It will be a few months before i get all my equipment for it

If you know the skimmer that you are going to use then you can build it now but you will need to get the dimensions for it then build accordingly.

Ok ill prolly wait until i actually buy one amd get it to my house, bc if i build it now for one and buy the skimmet later i may change my mind, im about to start my research on skimmers to figure out the best one i can get for a max dollar of 250. And thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom