Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would prefer not to drill my tank. Is there a way to create a 'sump' by pumping water out through a tube over the tank and then back in? How common is this? Does anyone encounter problems? Comments are always welcome :) Thanks :wink:

I do that with a homemade overflow. You don't pump, but instead rely on a siphon to bring it over the top of the tank. Works well. You can buy prebuilt overflows.

This is quite common. I would suggest using an overflow vs simply running a drain line up and over the tank and down to a sump. There are many brands of overflows on the market (they are sometimes sold under the name "prefilter" aswell. I like the 'U' tube style myself.

Definitely go with an overflow. Just running a siphon over the edge of the tank will result in lots of water in your floor. If you attempt to pump water both ways, you won't be able to balance the flow of the pumps and, again, water in the floor. Overflows are pretty reliable if set up properly.

...this sounds reasonable... how much water leakage would I get with an overflow down to a sump? i would imagine that you could use a pump to introduce the water back into the tank after it is treated in the sump?

The handy thing about an overflow/siphon is that the outflow will automatically match the water volume that you pump in. Every overflow/siphon has a maximum flow rate. Exceed the maximum and the siphon can't keep up....wet floor.

As long as you are under the max flow rate, everything just balances perfectly!

I have an overflow box that I just got last night. I realized a day before it came in that I wasn't going to need it. I'm thinking of keeping it maybe for later but if I can get rid of it, I will. The protein skimmer I had gotten was in-sump but was one of those really cheap kind. I've decided to go with a CPR 2 Bak Pak so I won't need a sump. If you're interested, just send a PM my way and we can start talking. It comes ready to go for the most part, pretty much plug and play.

$imple

Back
Top Bottom