Sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting back into the fish game after a while off (tank crashed during hurricane sandy.) I started out with a14g biocube to start, but now I am starting to plan a 40g breeder. I am moving shortly so I do not want to fill up a tank with water yet, but want to design the tank, the sump, and all the plumbing and figure by the time I figure out what I am doing it will be time to fill it with water. I am thinking either a 15g or 20 g long sump, but I am not sure all of what I need. I have done a bit of research but can't find a solid answer. Some people seem to be against a refuge in the sump, some are for. So what size sump tank and is a refuge a good or bad idea? In terms of a protein skimmer I know nothing, but how does this look? Thanks for any help you can give. Starting a tank this big feels as overwhelming as starting with saltwater in the first place haha.

all you need in a sump is an overflow to get the water to the sump a good protein skimmer and a pump to return the water... you can add some foam pads and filter socks if you want. you could use the 20 long for the tank, I would recommend the reef octopus for your skimmer I really like mine. as far as a refugium I cant give to much info on it because I don't use one.

Thanks for the speedy response. As for the overflow I planned on drilling one hole in the middle and adding it there. For the box itself do you have any recommendation on pre made ones or should I just DIY. Also how far down from the lip is it best to drill? And with this size tank what size bulkhead and pipe? Would a mag 5 work for a return pump? Or mag 7?

Well for the sump its self you can make one for half the price if not even less then one you cab buy so I would suggest making one..you can get on youtube and there's a ton of videos to guide you through the hole thing...mag 5 should work but depends on what skimmer you get

Back
Top Bottom