Sump/Refugium vs. Canister filter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I ended up getting a sump to replace my Fluval 205 canister filter that I currently have setup on my 36 gallon tank. I will be hooking the sump up tomorrow to eliminate the Fluval. The guys at my aquarium are saying to run it as a sump and not a refugium. And that it's better to just keep adding the live rock to the display tank rather then into the sump to make it a refugium. So my question is what really is the difference between this sump I bought and the Fluval canister filter? If no live rock is to be added to the sump to make it a refugium isn't the canister filter basically the same thing more or less? The canister filter has sponge filters and charcoal bag and other media in it (what came with it) and the sump has only a sock. Is the canister frowned upon because it will turn into a nitrate factory because there is no light in there or something to that affect? Because the way it is seeming they're close to the same thing more or less other than the sump offers more water to the entire system and makes room for skimmer and heater. Is it worth adding live rock to the sump to make it a refugium? I'm hearing alot of different opinions. Any help would be great.

I'll have pics of the sump, skimmer, pump and overflow box tomorrow! Light will be in sometime next week!:vader:

I ran a cannister on my old 150gal and when I changed to a sump,I could not believe the difference it made. The tank looks much better without all the heaters,skimmer etc. hanging on the back. The water level does not drop in the main with evapouration, only in the sump. The cannister was a pain to clean and I always spilled water .I have heard cannisters become nitrate factories also, but I never kept it long enough to find out. Bottom line after all my yammering is a sump is way better than a cannister in every way.

Back
Top Bottom