Sun coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know how I can get my sun coral to put tentacles out during the day? I see pictures of other's sun corals with the lights on and their tentacles are out. I've heard that they can be "trained" to come out and eat earlier, but not sure how that works. I'm kinda tired of waiting til 1 or 2 AM for mine to come out so I can feed it. At 2A, it looks GREAT, big and happy, but all day with lights on, it's just the orange nubs.

I tried to get the tentacles out during evening couple times while I was feedin the fish. I put the cut-off bottle over it and use Baster to put some of the liquid from the food over them to see if tentacles would come out. No luck. :(
think maybe if I didn't feed them for 3-4 days, it'd be more apt to come out earlier? I just don't wanna starve the thing, definitely don't want it dying. How long can it go without food? I usually feed it every 2days.

I know they can be traned, but i don't know how. I'll bet this guy knows, "melevesreef.com". Looks like he has lots of sun corals for a very long time, and great pictures of them. If you find out let us know.

The best way to train it, is to feed at the same time of day, all the time. Eventually, it will basically "learn" that this is when food comes. I don't remember how long it takes, but it will take some time.
I've had mine almost 2 years, and I also feed it every other day. I'm sure feeding it more would help it grow, but this schedule seems to keep it happy. For me, feeding it more often would start to effect my water quality, so I've tried to find a balance between, how much food it needs, and how much I'm "polluting" my water.
Good luck with it!

Flreefer said:
The best way to train it, is to feed at the same time of day, all the time. Eventually, it will basically "learn" that this is when food comes. I don't remember how long it takes, but it will take some time.
I've had mine almost 2 years, and I also feed it every other day. I'm sure feeding it more would help it grow, but this schedule seems to keep it happy. For me, feeding it more often would start to effect my water quality, so I've tried to find a balance between, how much food it needs, and how much I'm "polluting" my water.
Good luck with it!

Thanks! I'll keep trying to entice it out with liquid from food while lights on. Hopefully mine will someday "learn" dinnertime too!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom