Sunburst platy acting wierd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikhil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

We just started cycling our new aquarium & bought sunburst platy 1 Male 1 female. Since the time we got them they are not moving around much. Mostly standing in 1 place for long time. They are also not eating.
All water arame years are in good shape & there is plenty of sunlight & aquarium light as well.
Can anybody Eli me understand why platy are acting weird?

How big is the tank? Do you know what your exact parameters are and what kind of test kit you're using?

My water temperature is 78F & all other parameters seem to be in control as water is tested for 3 consecutive days & it's showing no signs of trouble.
I also have 3 long fin black skirt tetra & they are swimming fine.

Male sunburst is not eating much either.

what size tank? Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? Or having them done at a local pet store

When I added my platys it took several days for them to really settle into my tank. They weren't swimming around much and only ate what food was sinking to the bottom. They spent most of there time hiding in my decor. So it may be a natural adjustment period.

Though with 3 black skirts in the tank I really wonder the size and if there is any issues with the stock. Tetras are school fish and black skirts know to nip. They could be hassling your platys

Or if you are using strips what seems like good readings are probably wrong. These strips are horrible and often give wrong readings. Some actually numbers would be very helpful.

Tank is 20 gallon & I got it tested at petsmart for 2 days & now I have strips to test water sample. If strips are not good then what would you recommend? Can you please specify brand of the product u use to test waters sample?
I put in skirts yesterday only & I had bought tiger barbs & sunbursts on advise of petsmart but returned barbs next day after reading reviews & in general weird tiger bard behavior.

Behavior u mentioned is very similar to what's happening with my sunbursts how many days it took for them to settle in? Skirts don't seem to bother sunbursts atall. They r swimming on their own.
Do you turn off aquarium light at night or u ensure to have some amount of light?

Most users here on AA use and recommend the API Master test kit. It has separate liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Did you cycle your tank? Bad water parameters may be causing your platys to act weird too.
And yes you turn the light off at night. Fish need a day/night schedule too.

No it's a new tank. I am starting to cycle it & sunbursts r my first fish.
Thanks for product help. I will try to buy that. Water levels checked at prtsmart showed no issues.

If it's not cycled, you should be doing large water changes every day or every other day to make sure your parameters aren't at toxic levels for your fish. The tests at the petstore may have said that your water is in check, but test strips are notoriously inaccurate.

I will be buying test kit you recommended & return my first 1 & test water. If its getting toxic I'll change water or else let my tank cycle perfectly.
Thanks for your response. Appreciate it,

Back
Top Bottom