Sunlight and planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiko

Aquarium Advice Regular
My two, 20 gallon, planted tanks get a few hours of sunlight a day. I have a 15W bulb on each tank for viewing at night. The plants are growing well, and I recently had to trim back the Anachris. The Cabomba looks healthy. I really don't know the names of several the plants that are in the tanks. One looks like grass and has sent runners out is growing another little unit a few inches away from itself. I think there are java ferns in the tanks as well, which look healthy as well.

Both tanks are outside in a carport (in Hawaii, carports are usually converted into outdoor family rooms). It is between 70-80 every day, year round, so temp. is regulated by the enironment.

Is sunlight generally considered a good thing for planted tanks?

Is sunlight generally considered a good thing for planted tanks?

Many people think it leads to algae blooms, and temperature swings (prolly other perceived negatives too, but I can't recall right now.) Others feel that sunlight is a good thing for planted tanks.

my opinion: If it's working, don't mess with it. I would check the temps when they are getting sunlight, and when not, see if it's a big difference. If it is, that's prolly only gonna bother the fish, not the plants.

totally OT, it's very cold here and an ice storm is headed my way, I'm very jealous of you being in Hawaii!! :D

I think is ok.

but norm tank expose to direct sun will have lots of green algea.

Back
Top Bottom