Sunrise/Sunset/Moonlight setup for non-LED setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishmutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up my first tank and I wanted to do a good job on the lighting. I was hoping for a system that would not turn all the light on at once, then off again suddenly.

After alot of reading it seems there is no easy way to set-up a timed dimmer for fluorescent lights. So my plan is to use a 100 watt incandescent bulb attached to a timed-dimmer (Morning Sunrise System Dawn Dusk Sun Alarm Clock SRS100US) to gradually work up to full light on the bulb, then kick in the fluorescents. It would still increase the light suddenly, but hopefully not quite as much from a full dark (or low ambient light) environment. The incandescent bulb would then shut off until sunset.

The timer has a reverse sunset effect, so my incandescent bulb would come on at full bright just before the T5s go out to ramp down the light. Then as the light fades, a seperate timer would kick on a 90 minute moonlight.

This would involve 3 timers (sunrise/T5/moon). The sunrise dimmer/timer costs about $100. From what I read, only incandescent bulbs will work with this timer.

Sunrise- 11:30am -noon
Day- noon -10pm
Sunset- 10-10:30pm
Moonlight- 10:30-midnight
Dark- Midnight-11:30am

Anybody have recommendations or advice for a better setup? :thanks:

Thanks Russell.

I'm ordering the equipment today. Hopefully I can have it setup by next weekend and I'll share pics.

Back
Top Bottom