sunsun 302 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've used an undergravel filter on every aquarium i've ever done. just picked up a sun sun 302 plus media for 50 bucks and free shipping.

i'm on an almost 10 year break from fish. when my tiger oscars, i raised from barely an inch, died i lost my interest. they were a week from getting a much bigger tank. but i want to do a tank again.

a few weeks ago i set up a 30 with an ugf to do some fish then i got a free 55 gallon. so my lady will get the 30 and i'm going to do a cichlid tank in the 55.

i bought a sun sun 302 canister for the bigger tank since i want to do a sandy substrate and i have questions. it is my first go at a canister.

it is up and running in the 30 along side the ugf to help establish the media. it came with a bag (10 oz i think) of ceramic rings and a bag of some short skinny black spaghetti looking things that i don't know what they are. i think since its black it is carbon but i don't know.

i have it ordered how it was shipped to me. on the bottom tray is the bag of ceramic rings and the white pad on top. middle tray is empty with just a white pad in it. top tray has the black noodle things with the white pad on top. i'm not sure if the white pads should be underneath the media or on top of it.

i know i need more media. i went to buy some on ebay but then i thought i'd better ask before i bought the wrong stuff or too much. it looks like i could get two bags of the ceramic rings in each tray. so if i bought another 1000 grams of ceramic rings for two trays and then got some bio foam or whatever for the third is this a good setup. is a two pack of the bio foam enough for one tray. and again i don't know how to order it in the canister.

Hi and welcome to AA. The filter you have is a generic copy of the TetraTec EX which I have. This is how I have mine set-up and I would recommend it to you. I will start from the bottom up;
Bottom Tray- First have the course pad and on top of that a medium/fine pad, if you have one.
Middle Tray- Full Tray of Rings. I would replace them with Seachem Matrix.
Top Tray- Fill with polyfil. Great for keeping water clear. If you have a very fine pad, I would put this on top of the floss. It stops any loose floss from entering the motor. I would also add 2x100g bags of Seachem Purigen on the very top of the tray, on top of the floss. You only really need one but if you use two, you will have longer between recharging...

so this seachem stuff is better than using the ceramic rings>

can you get large sheets of the filter pads and cut your own?

is the three white pads that came with the unit considered the coarse pads?

so this seachem stuff is better than using the ceramic rings>

can you get large sheets of the filter pads and cut your own?

is the three white pads that came with the unit considered the coarse pads?
I believe it is better, i'm not saying that the rings are bad, they are fine, I just believe the Matrix is better. If your looking for it, it's Matrix, there is a Matrix Carbon, you don't want this. The Matrix looks like large gravel.
I believe you can get universal pads and cut you own. Try ebay, although your current pads should last years...
I don't have that model you have but you usually get a course pad, medium course pad and fine course pad. The 'gaps' in the pad will get smaller, the finer the pad is. Polyfil is definitely a must. Brilliant at keeping you clear.

okay i'll look into to all of that. i'll be ordering some more media tonight.

for the polyfil and pads can i just swish em around in tank water.

okay i'll look into to all of that. i'll be ordering some more media tonight.

for the polyfil and pads can i just swish em around in tank water.
The polyfil you can just replace it gets really dirty. It's really cheap, so no need to clean it. The pads, yeah just clean in old tank water. Remember not to let them dry out. You'll kill the BB...

**If you have the budget, get some Seachem Purigen. Fairly cheap, brilliant stuff, keeps the water crystal clear and you can recharge it. Check it out...**

I have a Sunsun HW303B step up from yours with UV and love it so far. the three white pads are med I believe I stock mine as follows from bottom up. bottom tray course blue pad (eBay) or cut your own then blue bonded poly cut to fit and polyfil to fill that tray. middle tray white pad then fill with bio media I prefer ceramic rings. top tray white pad then I run Purigen or API Nitrazorb then a white pad and polyfil top with the lid and presto. this works well for me and the great thing is that you can set up your media many ways, I like the way Ian has his set up too. good luck with yours

Back
Top Bottom