Super Naturals sand dump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just fed (dumped?) a bag of this into my new 26 gallon which I am no fish cycling and boy what a mess! I now surmise that adding sand after tank is filled is the wrong sequence! It's been about 4 hours since i added it ... Only improving just a bit. The package came with some water clarifier but I'm concerned to use it given the cycle I am attempting. Anyone know how long before this sand will settle? Thx

image-1953095244.jpg

image-2916158930.jpg

Eek! That's a cloudy tank. You usually have to wash the sand before adding it to your tank. Since its already in there do a couple of 100% water changes and add some Polly fill to your filter to help catch the finer particles. It will settle eventually but may take a few days.

Eek is right. I actually did a cursory rinse of the sand in the bag but I don't think it was thorough at all. Although i love them, Won't it settle by itself without the pwc's?

Ponch said:
Eek is right. I actually did a cursory rinse of the sand in the bag but I don't think it was thorough at all. Although i love them, Won't it settle by itself without the pwc's?

Probably, but whenever the sand gets stirred up the tank will cloud again. It would be best to get all the dirt/dust out ASAP.

maxwellag said:
Probably, but whenever the sand gets stirred up the tank will cloud again. It would be best to get all the dirt/dust out ASAP.

+1
I have a tank with play sand that a didn't rinse enough. Every time of stir it up it takes 1-2 days to settle again. My other two I rinsed it until I couldn't rinse anymore and it settles within minutes.

maxwellag said:
Carbon in the filter should help if you don't want to do PWCs

Carbon won't pick up fine particles like dust and dirt. It absorbs stuff dissolved in the water itself. Try a polishing pad, Polly/hobby fill or filter floss (same as Polly fill).

Mumma.of.two said:
Carbon won't pick up fine particles like dust and dirt. It absorbs stuff dissolved in the water itself. Try a polishing pad, Polly/hobby fill or filter floss (same as Polly fill).

Yes it does... Whenever I wash mine it makes a bunch of dirt and dust go everywhere in the bucket. It doesn't absorb it, I guess it traps it (so it is also acting as a mechanical filter)

maxwellag said:
Yes it does... Whenever I wash mine it makes a bunch of dirt and dust go everywhere in the bucket. It doesn't absorb it, I guess it traps it (so it is also acting as a mechanical filter)

It may catch some just like a sponge or bio media but what I was getting at is the polishing media will do a better job at removing the smaller dust particles.

When I placed not thoroughly washed play-sand in my tank, I wrapped a bounty paper towel around my filter so that I wouldn't get any sand stuck in my impeller. I heard several incidents where the sand could damage your impeller.

After 2-3 days, the water cleared up but you would need to switch to a new towel every few hours.

It may catch some just like a sponge or bio media but what I was getting at is the polishing media will do a better job at removing the smaller dust particles.

I gotcha. (y) You're right though, it would do a better job.

Mumma.of.two said:
+1
I have a tank with play sand that a didn't rinse enough. Every time of stir it up it takes 1-2 days to settle again. My other two I rinsed it until I couldn't rinse anymore and it settles within minutes.

Ok - that insight is worth knowing. I'm fetching my bucket and hose now ;)

Thanks all!

I tend to over-do things and this is no exception. Just did 5 100% water changes and things are looking much better already.

image-1938338387.jpg

filter running now and will pick up some of that filter floss tomorrow at the LFS and get this cleared up stat. I have an angelsPlus seeded sponge filter en transit and want to have this Sand thing figured out by the time it arrives so I can just plop it right in and kick start this tanks cycle.

All I can say now is ... Thank god I did not use that 2nd bag of sand I bought today!!! :)

UPDATE
Added a fluval polishing pad today about 10 hours ago. It is looking better but I would have expected it would be clear by now after 5 100% water changes last night and the polishing pad to catch the small debris. The sand came with a packet of water clarifier which I am tempted to use while at the same time hesitant to use because my fishless cycle officially starts tomorrow w/ arrival of the angelsPlus seeded filter. Thoughts on using the water clarifier vs continuing to wait?

image-2428473866.jpg

I'd give it a go. It will help clump the particles together. Then maybe a 100% PWC before you start your cycle tomorrow. The tank doesn't have to be clear to start your cycle.

I'd give it a go. It will help clump the particles together. Then maybe a 100% PWC before you start your cycle tomorrow. The tank doesn't have to be clear to start your cycle.

Thanks Mumma. Had a feeling another 100% PWC would be involved in rectifying this matter :facepalm:

OK just added the bio-magnet water clarifier. Lights out for the night and will see what it looks like in the morning!

Hey man, welcome to the newbie mistake. I did it too when I got my first fish tank. The best and quickest way is to wash your sand and siphon it again again again until there is no floating particles anymore and the water is clear. It may take you a whole day, but man, definitely worth it. my first tank is pretty small, so it was easier for me to clean. But just keep trying and keep the filter on all the time. It will work eventually.

Question? How are you refilling your tank? I was told when adding water back into the tank to lay a flat rock to stop the water from swooshing the sand around as you fill the tank. I do believe it was Mumma who said it, so kudos to her if it works.

Back
Top Bottom