Supercross Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pud2224

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone explain to me what "supercross guppies" are? I have not been able to find a good read on this and I'm a newbie. Thanks!

That is a good question. From what I know they are just that a supercross. Multiple strains combined to make a new one more or less. The issue with this is some traits are more dominate than other and often times the trait you want gets covered up by another. Also mixing stains has made some amazing color combinations. But mixing to many strains the wrong way or to quickly the offspring just don't look good colors and patterns clash or they don't show good. Have to remember that the guppy we know today did not exists in the wild people did that. So somewhere deep down inside of them another color or pattern may still be their and if u mix with another guppy that has the same one now none of your offspring match either parent. Long story short they are a cross of multiple strains over time to produce a fish that looks differnt. Selective breeding without so much of the selected part.

If I am wrong someone please fix me.

It's a strain developed by Pete Mang. I'm assuming you see them listed on aquabid, in which his username is Lotsoffish. This strain is known for their vivid blue and green coloration and more importantly their metallic shine. Pete has crossed them with other lines, and they all seem to look amazing. He also has Nebula Steel blues or something like that. They are similar. I've debated on getting some but since they have become so popular, his auctions have been getting bid quite high. It's great news for him, just tough for us to get them. IMO however, they are stunning fish to have

Back
Top Bottom