supposed to be "finger leather"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this from the local LHF... they said it was a "leather finger" Zoanthin. Does this sound right? I ask because I can't seem to find one on the internet. I find devil leather finger, spaghetti leather finger etc... Also, isn't a Zoanthin different than a "coral"?

Thanks

Attachments

• aquarium 8.22.08 006.jpg
    aquarium 8.22.08 006.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 55
  • aquarium 8.22.08 007.jpg
    aquarium 8.22.08 007.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 63
  • aquarium 8.22.08 018.jpg
    aquarium 8.22.08 018.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 48
Just looks like a finger leather to me. Here is mine after 5 yrs of growth.

100_1575.jpg

Most finger leathers are Lobophytum, which is why common names are so worthless, but this also has Capnella qualities in appearance. What is the texture of the coral, including polyps? Get a pic with polyps open if you can :)

I don't know about everyone else, but it sure looks like a white finger stub club split leatherback soft coral...with a hint of beige XD

"white finger stub club split leatherback soft coral"
Say that fast five times! LOL!

thats what I was thinking but it was in the "zoo" section of LFS and they specifically said it was a zoo

So it would be a "SPS"? How fast will it grow... it's really small - maybe 1 1/2'' high. LFS said it would double in 3months.

It's not an sps, it's a leather coral and they do grow fast under good conditions. A very hardy coral.

guess i have a lot to learn!! LOL I thought there were only 2 kinds of corals: SPS and LPS and then each has many many different categories under them.

Whew - I will be reading for another 20yrs!

Thanks for everyones information.

There are SPS, LPS,soft corals and mushrooms and polyps. Leathers are usually classified under soft corals.

Back
Top Bottom