Surface agitation degas co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a few questions, can I run an airstone and still have a planted tank because it will degass co2, because I just planted my tank but I have lots of surface agitation.(a bubble wall, two hob filters and two air stones) Will this agitation get rid of co2 if I use excel? The only problem is I would like to keep the bubbles if possible because I like how it looks. Also is DIY co2 even possible on a 55 gallon?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414891626.372834.jpg
Here is a picture

The bubble walls and Excel are fine together. Excel does not degass.
A more cost effective alternative is Metricide 14. It contains the same ingredient (Glutaraldehyde) as Excel and API CO2 Booster but at twice the strength. By the gallon it is about $25 on Amazon.
DIY CO2 might not be very effective in a 55g. It would require quite a few yeast+sugar bottles to generate an appreciable amount of CO2 bottles for that volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok awesome I was actually just researching this metracide stuff but it seemed to good to be true. Will it be enough for my dwarf hairgrass you think?

Ok awesome I was actually just researching this metracide stuff but it seemed to good to be true. Will it be enough for my dwarf hairgrass you think?

Idk. I've never tried DHG. I run pressurized CO2 and add glut to my tank.
Oh, if you do get the Metricide 14, throw away the small bottle of activator that is shipped with it. I believe it will, if mixed with the glut, make it unsuitable for aquarium use (after all, the intended use is for sterilizing medical equipment and instrumentation).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom