SW Gods! Want to get together My Fish List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayhawker518

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, my tank is working on getting setup. Ive read you should decide your fish roster before you even get close so heres what i got so far.

2 either Black or Maroon Clowns
Firefish
Mandarin or Goby or Blennies those things on the bottom that kinda walk around.

Let me know what you think. PS its a 30 gal tank I know small so i gotta think small.

Along with some snails and hermits.

Do some reading about the Mandarins. I heard it's not a good idea to get them until the tank has matured for quite some time. Some publications say at least a year.

I think your fish list is fine, save for the "goby/blenny/mandarin". Down the road in a few months, maybe. They require a very well mature tank with lots of pods and algae to sustain their food population.

You are going to want a stable supply of pods if you want a mandarin and if you have any other pod eating fish you could starve the mandarin since they are slow movers. Def. wait at least 6 months and I would recommend having a fuge for the pod population.

I would not recomend a mandarin until your tank is at least a year old. They eat pretty much live food only (copepods) and you will need a mature system to support enough pods to keep them happy. The other fish will be fine. The clowns should be added at the same time and a mated pair is a good idea.

Happy Reefing!

Thanks everyone. Ill keep you all posted. Looks like ill stay away from the mandarin for a while.

You guys are great.

Update:

The tank is finally cycling. Got all the live rock and what not. Pretty excited.

So I have looked more into my list of fish.

How many fish can i have in a 30 gallon tank?

Firefish - Any type
Clowns - Mated Black Ocellaris
Either : A couple Blue/Green Chromis or A Bicolor AngelFish or a Bicolor Pseudochromis
And I absolutely LOVE Gobies! I know i have to wait a little before my tank gets going but they absolutely intrigue me. How many of those can you have in one tank?
The Catalina / Orange Strip Prawn / Hi Fin Red Banded / Tangoroa

Any ideas? Let me know. I read the article above about what to put in this kind of tank to get some ideas. What do you all think and recommend. I cant wait for the cycle to be over!

Catalina goby is a colder water version. Nix that.

You don't have to wait for the gobies, just the mandarin (often confused with a goby).

You doing fish only, or considering a bit of reef? It'll make a dif in the lighting you choose.

You got an ammonia and nitrite test kit, I presume?? Got to to know how the cycle is going and when it's finshed.

Also, firefish are known jumpers.

Good luck!

Is your tank going to be a reef tank (with corals) or just a fish only tank (no corals)?

If it were my tank I would just get a pair of clownfish, perhaps a firefish, and a goby. Most gobies are such that you can only have one in the tank. Since they inhabit the same territory, they often end up fighting until one of them dies. I would avoid the chromis until you get a larger tank. They are very active swimmers and like to be in groups of atleast 3-5.

HTH

Alright first off, Im doing just fish for this tank.

Its my first so figured that would be a good place to start because a much larger tank is in my future when i get a little more money.

So with that said, Im going to go with the Clowns, Firefish, and some kind of Goby.

I have my test kit and have been testing, I just started Monday so we are in the first stages i have a bit to go. How often should i be testing? Everyday every other day?

Also i have a top on the tank so i dont have to worry to much about a jumper.

Also some food for thought is that if you are going reef an angel may nip corals , and pseudochromises can be agressive as well as may snack on your shrimp

I agree with the shrimp gobies. Those are among my favorites. As i read about them it usually says one per tank. Is this the case or is it flexible. I dont want any fights.

Next question, since you mentioned Shrimp Roka, when i head to the LFS i need to ask for a clean up crew. What is the norm for a 30 gallon tank after it cycles?

I know some hermits and shrimp and snails or whatever but do we have specifics on it and how many of each? Thanks

Personally, I am not a huge fan of lots of hermits. I have 3 in my 55. I like nassarius and cerith snails. For a newly cycled tank, a small clean up crew is best, to prevent starvation. I would go with 5-10 of two different types of snails (you can always add more later), a few small hermits. I hear turbo snails and margarita snails are great. Astraea conehead snail work too, but they sometimes fall over and you have to flip them, otherwise they can starve or get eaten by the hermits. I like fire shrimp as well as cleaner shrimp.
Jayhawker518 said:
As i read about them it usually says one per tank.
Ray has two in his 150G tank, I wouldn't suggest more than one in a 30G, unless they are a mated pair. I can only imagine the sand they would move. I have 1 in my 55G and he has dug tunnels under every piece of rock.

I started off with about 10 snails (Astrea) and 10 hermits, then got 10 Nassarius. They expire a bit over time, so you'll always have to be restocking them. The hermits I'd add first, then possibly the snails once you get a little more algae for them to eat. I like shunk cleaners, you could get a nice pair in your 30 gallon. Hermits are hit or miss, I haven't replaced them in my tank since I originally stocked the tank, they like to eat snails occasionally and they are heck for topping over corals, but you won't have to worry about that second part. :)

For now, since you are cycling, I would only test for ammonia and nitrites first. Then when you start seeing nitrites, start testing nitrates. When your tank is all the way cycled (0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, and usually 5-15 nitrate) test your pH. Then do a water change and test your pH again. pH isn't accurate until after the tank is cycled, pretty much, so I wouldn't waste your test solutions. You can expect the cycle to take 3-5 weeks on average, but that's not set in stone either.

For the gobies, I'd just get one...

So recap:
10 Astrea/Cernith Snails.
5 Hermits ( Any type in particular?)
I heard a couple Shrimp are good too, either Scarlet Skunk Cleaner or Peppermint?

Do I add these mostly at the same time?

Also I test like that pretty much, your right so i dont waste my solutions.

Astreas are good for cleaning rocks and glass, nassarius/ceriths are great sand sifters. I'd get both species of snail if it were my tank, but like I said don't add them immediatley after your tank cycle, as you want to have plenty of algae for them to consume.

Blue legged hermits stay small, very small. Scarlets get rather huge in comparison, so I'd stick with some blue legged ones. They are more common (ie: cheaper) as well.

Skunk cleaners are awesome little shrimp, and have a good potential to pair up if you buy two. Peppermint shrimp are nice as well, but stay smaller and IME aren't as bold and active as the skunk cleaners.

You can add most of them all at the same time, yep. :)

Back
Top Bottom