Swapping a 5 for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcidRainFalls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My five gallon tank is just causing me a huge headache. I am hoping that a ten gallon would be easier to maintain. I am planning on getting a petsmart aquarium kit. My problem is is that I am nervous about keeping my 3 guppys alive in the 5 gallon tank until the ten gallon is ready. How long would it take to cycle a 10 gallon tank? What is the best course of action?

I appreciate any help I can get.

is the five gallon fully cycled? if so just put the filter media from the five, into the ten. bam there you go, instantly cycled tank. just don't add any new fish right away

I honestly don't believe the pet store is correct when they told me it had cycled and to add fish. I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not sure what to do in terms of fixing my five gallons water problems and How to inter grate a 10 gallon assuming that would be the best move.

how long have you had them in the 5.5? do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? ph also, but thats not as important. fish stores are generally not the best place for advice, they are there to sell you fish and make money. out of the 15+ fish stores i go to, i will only take advice from one of them.

My petsmart said" wait 3 days and add fish, well I did, and I lost about 40 dollars in fish, get a test kit, a used filter media( from your 5 gallon), get tetra safe start, and your good to go

Used filter media? Even if my 5 gallon isn't cycling. And I probably should start testing my own water instead of taking it to the pet store.

Used filter media? Even if my 5 gallon isn't cycling. And I probably should start testing my own water instead of taking it to the pet store.

pet stores use cheap, inaccurate test strips so that isn't a reliable test anyway. i suggest you get an API liquid master test kit. if the 5.5 isn't cycled anyway, you will need to treat everything as a fish in cycle. aquarium advice has a good article on this
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

Back
Top Bottom