Swc 160 protine skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithcinema

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking into buying a skimmer and adding a sump to my 90 gal reef tank !! Don't have a lot of room max sump is 21x12 the 160 has a 9x7 foot print does anyone have that skimmer if so what size chamber is in your sump to fit it I want to add the skimmer and a sock in the first chamber than a small refuge in chamber 2 and then a small bubble trap with some filter foam than my pump chamber !! Any advice would be helpful thanks !!! Right now I have a wetdry and no skimmer everything is perfect but I keep reading on here that a sump and skimmer is the way to go !!

If you are having success with the wet dry then you are doing good. Is that the only reason you want a sump? I do agree that its an excellent piece of equipment to use, no doubt about it. :) I'm not sure how much space you will have with those dimensions though.

I'm working on a new 60g build and I only have 23 inches to work with so I was gonna go with a 15g tank and maybe make my own sump. That size should be fine for a 60g not sure if it will be good with a 90g though. I also wont be putting a fuge in it so I have more skimmer room.

Are you planning on making this sump yourself? using a regular tank or building a tank?

Was going to order a rimless from glasscages.com for $165 that way I can get exact to fit 21 1/2 x 12 x 16 high that way I figure a 9 1/2 in skimmer chamber , 2in bubble trap with some foam in it and 4 1/2 inch pump chamber that leaves me 5in for a fuge x 12in wide !! Everyone in every store and on line says I need a skimmer I don't have one now tanks up since oct 1 no problems !! But I don't want no problems either lol I have a lot of nice corals and fish now !! Cary I know some say fuge and some say it don't work what should I do not do a fuge I can save a ton and get a stock 15 gal tank and have plenty of room but I'm loosing all that bio area from the wet dry !!

Some may disagree, but I think a fuge that small won't be of any noticeable benefit. Thats just my opinion though. I'm currently tossign around the idea of ditching my fuge on my 125g, which is quite a bit larger than the 5" you have in mind. What I figure is a better skimmer to compensate for no fuge. :) But it certainly won't hurt your system thats for sure, so its up to you.

As far as bio area, how much rock do you have in your tank? That should be enough bio area for most systems if you have enough of it.

I have around 85 lbs so I do have alot and a 4 in sand bed I am running a fluval g6 that I love so I still have some extra bio area I'm just worried I guess lol what about the algae plant they grow in a fuge would that help

I have live rock, a 3 inch sandbed and cheato and caulpera in my fuge right now. The macro is supposed to help keep your tank free of algae and also to reduce nitrates. I do admit, there is not one speck of alage in my DT, so that part may be working. As far as nitrates, I can't tell. i still do my water changes and there are still some low level of trates but can't attribute that to the fuge for sure. I also have plans on adding a biopellet reactor soon to help further with trates. Always more options, LOL. I'm trying different setups to see what works the best for me. What works perfect on one persons system may not do as well on anothers.

Yes I wanted to do a brs pellet reactor but I here mixed reviews some say it's awsome some say it bleached there corals and brs told me u have to have a skimmer to run it !! Will still look into it in the future today I get my new ecoray 112 d LEDs I'm excited I seen them on a tank at my drs office and I was blown away I had to have them lol !! Cary if I do take down wetdry and go to a sump with the large swc skimmer will my tank be ok loosing the bio load keep in mind I still have the fluval g6 running

I think between the rock and the filter you should be fine. You also have sand right? thats another place for bacteria to live as well don't forget. Once your tank is up and running for a bit pretty much there is life everywhere. :-D

Cary just called brs talked to rees the guy who makes the videos he said a fuge is useless unless u don't have live rock and sand in the display tank he said if its not of equal size and volume as main display it's doing nothing but a place for your co pods to hang out !! I really like those guys I take there word like gold !! So my minds made up sump no fuge he did say the skimmer is a must for him

Yeah, BRS is a good bunch of guys. :) They know there stuff. Glad you came to an answer. lol I'm still debating

Back
Top Bottom