Swim Bladder Disease -- Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sadly, my fantail fish has swim bladder disease. It's horrible. The poor thing can hardly swim no matter how it tries. It swims upside-down and on its side, and it floats up to the top. This happened today, so when I found it I immediately thawed some frozen peas. The other two fish ate the peas, and the fish that actually needs them couldn't swim to get the peas anyways. So, I attempted to feed the fish by stringing a piece of thread through the pea and dangling it in front of the fish. But still, the fish will not touch it. What can I do?

do you have somehwere to qt it? even a breeder box, somewhere for it so thats its not just floating about upside down... this may help it have more energy to move to get the peas?? Im just guessing as i've personally never had to deal with this. GL to you!

Most fish love peas, so he must be feeling terrible. :( Fast him for a few days and see if he clears up, make SURE he doesn't get any regular food. Is it possible he ate a piece of gravel? If he doesn't clear up in a few days, and you know he didn't eat any gravel, you might want to put him in a different tank and use some salt.
What are your water parameters, and how often do you change part of the water? Also, what size is the tank?

Thank you both for the advice, I'll use it if this happens again.
But the fish was dead this morning, so I didn't even have the chance to try to feed it a pea again :(

Back
Top Bottom