Swim Bladder Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi :) My fancy ryukin goldfish, Lady, seemed to have symptoms of swim bladder disease yesterday. He was swimming funny and rising to the top of the tank tail first, as if he couldn't keep himself down (it was kind of like releasing a balloon under water and watching it pop up to the surface). The only thing I can think of is that I started giving Lady goldfish flakes again, after having him on Top Fin Nutra-Fin Max for quite a while. Maybe the flakes swelled up in his belly and affected his swim bladder? I read that giving a fish with swim bladder disease some green pea will sometimes solve the problem; I gave Lady two green peas last night, about an hour apart. Today, he was totally back to normal!

Does swim bladder disease recur, though? Once a fish gets it, is the fish prone to getting it over and over again? Lady has always swam sideways and upside down when going from the bottom of the tank to the top, or when he's going through the plants or castle in the tank - it's always seemed that he was in control of his movement, though. Yesterday, he did not seem to be in control of his movement.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Chances are, the fish did not have swimbladder disorder. She had gas in the gut, which makes her float. <Feeding flakes to fancy goldfish will do that! To prevent it, feed sinking pellets, or soak the flakes until it is waterlogged & sinks.> Feeding the peas cause the fish to poop, solving the gas problem.

Fancy goldfish are prone to gut problems because of their compact shape. Some more than others. If your fish has problem with flakes now. She will prob have trouble with flake or floating foods. Feeding sinking food, and varying the diet with veggies & fruits (peas, cucumbers, oranges...), "live" food (eg chopped up shrimp), etc. will usually solve the problem.

Fish with a belly full of gas use up a lot of energy to control movement, so the fish might be tired even after the pea cure. Give her a day or two & see how she does.

Chances are, the fish did not have swimbladder disorder. She had gas in the gut, which makes her float. >8 SNIP 8< Fish with a belly full of gas use up a lot of energy to control movement, so the fish might be tired even after the pea cure. Give her a day or two & see how she does.

Thank you for the solid advice :) I gave Lady two more peas tonight, which he happily ate. Let's hope he poops out any gas that may be trapped. He seems to have good control over his movement when he's swimming, but if he tries to stop or rest, it seems like he's going belly up. He fights it and regulates himself, though. I suppose that trapped gas in the belly would explain that symptom, too, though.

I'll stick to sinking food from here on out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom