switched from gravel to sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every tank is different but two weeks is normal for the nitrite stage. When your pH starts dropping like that it's a sign that the bacteria are revving up and doing their job. Just keep doing small water changes and you'll soon be through the cycle. Once that's over you'll have a much more stable pH. The bacteria actually consume the minerals that keep pH high as they devour ammonia and nitrite. This is all normal and expected. The fun part isn't far off. :)

Cool beans was kinda worried for a moment there. Thx

I believe the cycle is complete. Ph steady at 7.5, ammonia and nitrite at 0, even the nitrate is at 0, but I thought in a cycled tank it should be at 10-20ppm??

I believe the cycle is complete. Ph steady at 7.5, ammonia and nitrite at 0, even the nitrate is at 0, but I thought in a cycled tank it should be at 10-20ppm??

The important thing is your ammonia & nitrite are zero. With the APi nitrate test, make sure you really shake & bang the bottles for a minute or so before testing or you will get a false zero result. You may want to consider double checking your nitrate level at a lfs if you still continue to get zero. How much/how often are you feeding everybody?

Zeroes does not mean you can skip water changes though- they are still necessary atleast weekly to remove dissolved solids and restore lost minerals & buffers. Congrats on being cycled!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom