Switching from gravel for plants to ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete w

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have posted here before about removing my multi-colored gravel (let kids pick). I want white sand on top what do I need underneath.
1. Flourite or Floramax then capped with sand.
2. Leave gravel and cap with 2-3" if sand
3. Just sand
Option 2+3 would need more root tabs.
Currently have amazon sword, java fern and Anubis.
I want low to med light plants, I do not want to do Co2. (When I started tank I did not want to do plants. LoL).
Any input would help I am doing it this weekend or next.

Multi colored gravel and white sand do not mix at all for me so option 2 is out
The only color prob with option 1 is that flourite is a black or red and floramax is black. If you mix them with white sand the substrate would look a little weird IMO but it'd be better for the plants. Option 3 would look the best but root tabs would need to be added. I'd go with option 1 even though it doesn't look as good as op 3.

The sand will migrate to the bottom. So I'd do all sand. But that's me.

Amazon Sword needs 2.5 to 3" of substrate and root tabs. Other plants just get tied or glued to wood or rocks.

I only add root tabs every 4 months, so not a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flourite is mostly like a sand so the white sand would stay on top. It could sift to the bottom with the floramax though.

So just sand would be fine? I do plan on some lava rock piled up in one corner. And some stem plants also along the back. If sand and root tabs work I'll go that route.
Thanks for the advice so far

So just sand would be fine? I do plan on some lava rock piled up in one corner. And some stem plants also along the back. If sand and root tabs work I'll go that route.
Thanks for the advice so far

I use straight sand in most of my tanks. Flora max eventually runs out of nutrients so you'd still need root tabs. It's good stuff, but I don't think you'd like the mixed color. You could do black substrate and black sand ?

Thanks Coursiar
I want to go with white or tan sand. How do you keep it clean? I've read about Malaysian Snails and they sift thru it but I don't want to deal the population explosion that seems to go with them. So I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

you can use a regular gravel cleaner. Just skim the cleaner a little bit above the sand and all the waste will get sucked up.

I'd go either 100% Floramax or 100% sand. But my preference is Floramax because it requires less work to maintain. When I had my sand tanks up, I had to siphon the top quite often and also use a turkey baster to break up the sand when it got compacted. I also used the turkey baster as a leaf blower to get all the detritus corralled. Dark Floramax hardly needed cleaning. Both will need root tabs, as Floramax and Eco Compete have only miniscule trace elements and sand is inert.

Definitely get rid of the colorful gravel. Best liberation you'll do. :)

Last edited:
Made the change ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396793352.648038.jpg now just need to add some verity in plants and I am soaking a piece if drift wood that is currently buoyant.

Yes that is my plan I was working with what I had. I figured once the driftwood was in I would start moving things around and adding some plants

So new problem after I arrange the tank. My pleco digs in sand and arranges it his way every night so it has a new look in the morning. This is not good for my plants or my filter that I could not figured out why was stopped every morning (probably sand stopping impeller). So what is the answer to this?

For filter intake, either shorten the tube or put a sponge over the intake or both. And rehome the Pleco or only buy Java Fern or stuff you can tie in place.

Thanks I will shorten tube and see if that works. Pleco stays my daughter picked it out. So for now I guess it is java fern and Anubis for now.

Not sure wife and daughter bought him when we first got tank.

Well the inexpensive ones are usually either a Common or a Sailfin. They can hit over a foot long and live 20years. You might want to do a little research.

These Plecos produce copious waste and need huge tanks and massive filtration to keep up. They are sold as babies. Sadly most are killed by being in tiny tanks. Stunts their growth. Plus they add to the ammonia and can crash a tank if the owner isn't aware.

Please learn about your fish, so you can make informed decisions and keep all your fish healthy.

And teach the whole family to learn about a fish's long term care, before buying :)

Please post a pic and we can help ID for you :)

Replacing or Supplementing Gravel

Hello Pete...

The small pea-sized gravel is fine for aquarium plants that need to be anchored at the bottom of the tank. The polished kind is excellent for a planted tank because it can't pack too tightly like sand or create voids that can cause water chemistry problems. Gravel cleans up easily, allows room for plant roots to grow and promotes good water circulation for nutrient delivery to the roots. It's very inexpensive and colorful. Combine all these pluses with a little liquid fertilizer like Seachem's Comprehensive dosed when you change out the tank water and you have healthy plants with just a little effort.

Just an opinion from an old school water keeper...

Have fun!

B

Back
Top Bottom