switching from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezzmondo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wondering if anyone has any insight to this such as how too's and doo's and dont's? Please help im switching food and poop dont get stuck between the gravel and i think it will also compliment my tank better i have a 55 gallon

I've done this a couple of times now lol

I'm assuming the tank is stocked with fish?
Set up a temporary spot for the fish, such as an extra tank or even a clean Rubbermaid tub. Add a heater and an air stone if you have one, or even run the filter on the tub if it's possible. If not, keep the filter media wet while you're working. Drain some tank water into the tub and catch and add the fish (hardest part especially if you have small fast fish lol).

Then drain the rest of the tank, switch out the substrate, refill, run the filter and heater for a while, a couple of hours or so (the tank will probably be cloudy from the sand), then net the fish back into the main tank. Leave the lights off for the rest of the day so the fish can rest as they'll be a bit stressed.

Make sure you rinse the sand VERY well before adding to your tank. Use a old pillow case & 5g bucket to make rinsing easier or just the pillow case in the kitchen sink. This will help to limit post-fill cloudiness. :)

Back
Top Bottom