Switching from gravel to sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quick, possibly stupid question here:
When you do the switch, obviously, you have to move your livestock to a temp location. My concern is for how long, and how to keep them healthy during that transition? If it's just for an hour or two while the gravel is removed, sand added and allowed to settle (post wash, of course), that's cool...a few 5 gallon buckets will be able to hold my stock. If it's overnight, though, what then? I don't have a spare 56 gallon tank to use (though for the $1/gal sale, it might not be a bad idea to pick one up...).

I had a 10g I moved them all into. I ran the smaller of my 2 filters on it (I have aqua tech 30-60 and 20-40 running on my 55g, I put the 20-40 on my 10g during the transition). Also after I moved them into the 10g I feed them a little. My transition took a little longer, I started at 11:30am and wasn't done till about 3pm. But I only have a 2 gallon bucket so draining and filling the tank is what took the longest. It would've been a lot quicker if I had a water chaner.

Thanks for the info...a followup question: How do you clean the sand? A gravel siphon obviously isn't the answer, as it would suck up the sand with the fish poo..

Thanks for the info...a followup question: How do you clean the sand? A gravel siphon obviously isn't the answer, as it would suck up the sand with the fish poo..

Actually that's what I do, a lot of people use. A gravel siphon. You just need to get the suction going and hold the siphon about an inch or so above the sand and it will suck up the poop and uneaten food.

I'm glad I subscribed to this thread so much help. I was going to ask about cleaning, but i see above my gravel siphon will work! Yay! But about the temporary tank for my fish. I have a 10 gallon I can put my cichlids in. But I also have a pleco that's 10-11 inches. I'm pretty sure he won't like that and he'd prolly injure the cichlids splashing around and they'd prolly get territorial on him. So I have 5 gallon buckets. If I put a filter and aerator in there, will he be ok for however long it takes? Ill have to come up with some sort of lid but still would that work?

I'm glad I subscribed to this thread so much help. I was going to ask about cleaning, but i see above my gravel siphon will work! Yay! But about the temporary tank for my fish. I have a 10 gallon I can put my cichlids in. But I also have a pleco that's 10-11 inches. I'm pretty sure he won't like that and he'd prolly injure the cichlids splashing around and they'd prolly get territorial on him. So I have 5 gallon buckets. If I put a filter and aerator in there, will he be ok for however long it takes? Ill have to come up with some sort of lid but still would that work?

I would think so. I think I remember reading someone actually did that with a bucket or a tub. Especially since its just the pleco I'm sure it will be fine!

I personally just wand my gravel vac around in a circle just above the sand. It kind of makes everything float up a bit and I suck it right up. I have found my filter (aquaclear) has lots more stuff in it than my gravel tank. So I just make sure I clean it out when I do my weekly water changes. I wash my sponges out in tank water and wash out the filter holder and it's GTG!

I personally just wand my gravel back around in a circle just above the sand. It kind of makes everything float up a bit and I suck it right up. I have found my filter (aquaclear) has lots more stuff in it than my gravel tank. So I just make sure I clean it out when I do my weekly water changes. I wash my sponges out in tank water and wash out the filter holder and it's GTG!

Nice! Thanks!

I finally got my sand in my tank and filled up! Waiting for it to cycle a bit and settle. It isn't complete or I'd take a pic because the main large piece of driftwood that I have soaked and soaked and boiled still will not sink. It's big enough I worry if I leave it in the tank that it'll injure a fish if it sinks while I'm gone. Which it's been hard to boil since it won't fit in any of my pots completely. But it's soaking in a tub and I will send a pic when the tank is completed! But I do love love love the sand look! I'm so happy I switched to sand!

These are my tanks I have sand in. One of them didnt turn out the way I wanted because apparently me and my pleco have different opinions of how it should be. But I like the way he's agreed with it now:

image-590238044.jpg

U can't see all the decor because I don't have a light on that tank. I tried to brighten it up but.... Anyways here's my next one with my gold saum and jack dempsey who's hiding, also ghost shrimp and two snails, who eventually yes will become a meal:

image-3164621776.jpg

Back
Top Bottom