switching from spring water to tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merrall412

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve been using spring water for my betta fish for as long as I have had him (since September) I am finding it hard to keep up with buying enough spring water to make frequent water changes as i do not have a car. Would it be hard on him to switch over to tap water at this point? He currently has a very bad case of fin rot so I am worried it would having a more significant effect on him than if he was healthy.

I have tried many methods to cure his fin rot such as betafix, maracyn 2, and aquarium salt.

Is there a reason you used purchased spring water? Is there something wrong with your tap water?

Whats your normal water change schedule? Unless you are doing water changes, then just switch to your tap water.

Tap water is fine. The technique is to fill your container (gallon, bucket, etc, to hold the percentage you're changing) and let it sit uncovered for 24 hours. This allows the water chemistry to stabilize. Tap water is under pressure and contains dissolved gases, particularly CO2. Letting water sit also neutralizes chlorine and metals.

Take a look at the temperature in the container too (having an extra thermometer for it is great). In order not to shock your betta, the changing water should be within a few degrees of the tank water. In summer, my changing water is equal to the tank without doing anything. Right now, in February, I pour a little of the stabilized water into a pan and heat it to bring up the gallon temp right before I change water.

Back
Top Bottom