Switching MH's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be switching 2 of my 3 175's to 400's. What kind of acclimation do I need to go through...or do I? Current setup is 3 175's over a 120gal mixed reef...I will be replacing my outer 175's with the 400's. I'm gonna keep my SPS to the outsides and softies in the center.

Thanks,
Rich

Definately acclimate the tank to the new light intensity. No need to shorten the light cycle time, that doesn't do anything. Simpley shade the new bulbs with several layers (3-5) of screen door material depending on the height of the bulbs. Over the next few weeks pull off a sheet at a time slowly increasing the intensity and allowing your animals to adapt.

For future coral additions, be sure they are placed on the substrate for the first few days-week and then slowly inch them up until they are in the desired loaction where they can be fixed permanently.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, I was told about changing the photo period...then told not to. I knew I would get it answered here.

Thanks,
Rich

acid_burn said:
Thanks, I was told about changing the photo period...then told not to.
That actually works fine when upgrading to a PC or VHO depending on previous intensity but not MH. If you burn them for an hour or 8 hours the results the same :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom