Switching over to a new tank soon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a new tank and I will be moving everything over to it from my old tank. I bought some new aragonite dry sand to put in the new tank. In the past when I've moved I would simply go through the normal cycling process. With this tank I will simply transfer most of my water, all my live rock, filters, protein skimmer etc. over. At the moment, I have a bare bottom tank. Soooo...my question is this: with everything remaining the same with the exception of the glass container ( the tank), should I expect a cycle? My live rock won't be out of water more than a minute or two (long enough for me to put in a bucket, shake it off, and put it in the new tank).

Odds are you won't see a new cycle since you're moving your cured rock over. I'd suggest to use only new water in your tank. There is hardly any BB in the water column. Most if not all exists on the surface and interior of your rock. Your old water will contain nitrates and detritus that has settled.

I was planning on moving it all over next week but I'm changing my water today in my main tank as scheduled. I Know there's not much bacteria in the water but my thoughts were that I would have the same water PH etc., although I could easily mimic that with normal prep I suppose. Just happy to hear I shouldn't experience any mini cycling! =). Thank you!

I would try to use as much of the old water as you can... Moving fish is stressful, and the last thing you want to do us give them PH or salinity shock...

Nikki, if you wanna use completely new water you can,all youd have to do is acclimate the fish again... As if they were new. If you dont wanna do that, then save a decent amount of water

Back
Top Bottom