Switching Tanks-- Almost Same Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pendergraft2111

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's been a few months... Quick update. I love and hate saltwater..lol. I have only lost 3 fish. 1 Diamond Goby, not sure why levels were good, I will be getting another one for my nano. I also lost 2 false clowns, stupid lady at FS "oh yea brittle stars make great member of community tanks" Rookie impulse buy, Midnight death was quickly returned.

I recently moved and discovered my large tank was not as big as thought( only 60g I think) On another thought my wife's 54g corner tank Goldfish tank failed almost as quickly as it started (anchor worms are nasty little pest) So here is my question, I have decided to put my saltwater into the 54 and do away with my 60. What do ya'll think? Here are my concerns.

1.Filter: my SW has a built-in wet/dry filter and I only have a fluval 305 canister for the corner tank. Can I use the canister on the saltwater? do I need to leave out the carbon? If I can't will it work for now until I can buy or build a sump?

2. Substrate:I want to do away with the CC. Will the live rock and the bioballs carry enough of the bacteria to avoid a full cycle or do I need to keep the CC. ( I hate it and it is filthy, I have to constantly stir it up) I have argonite white sand in my nano and would like to eventually do the same in the corner tank.

3. Lights: I planned on upgrading to some better t5ho light. I have the fixture for 4 3ft bulbs. Would I need more since it is deeper? Two side notes: I planned on adding reflectors to the fixture as it doesnt have any right now; Do I need one for each bulb or can I do 2 bulbs to a reflector? also I have to used MH bulbs that I have no idea what size they are or age but they work; are they worth anything or should I just get rid of them since I am not using them? I'd like to recoup some to put into the new bulbs, they came with the live rock and crushed coral(package deal).

I know it's a lot but as always I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Also anyone interested locally (Houston) in my D.A.S 60g? It's gotta be worth 100$. I was going to put it on craigslist what do ya'll think?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/my-75-gallon-das-tank-147785.html

1. You can use a canister on sw but most find that its more hassle than its worth, of course a sump would be best but we cant always afford the best or if we can we may not be able to get the spouses sign off. If its fowlr to start you'll prob be fine i would suggest having a sump and ridding the canister before corals. ( some would disagree on canister though, so...)

2. If you dont like the cc switch it out now. If you use the lr from the other tank it will lessen your cycle, most likely youll have a very small spike for a day or two and thats it. sandbeds dont help biofiltrationa whole lot unless they are deep. Also I have read that different bacteria grows in sw than in fw, so I don't think any bb on your sand would be beneficial to use. (or is the cc in your sw and im confused about whats where) either way i'd switch it now, rather than later which may cause a spike by stirring everything up more than usual.

3. How deep and what wattage are your bulbs? My guess is that you wouldn't be able to grow sps but most other corals shouldnt be a prob.
Can youhang the mh off a pendant? Still give your tank a nice look while granting you better light. I know youre looking to get some money and the mh is prob worth the most of your leftovers, butI think Id put it as my primary, just a thought.
Single reflectors increase light reflection over dual. What happen is two bulbs arenext to eachother and a portion of that light is going direclty into a bulb that has just as much light coming out making a percentage (about 20%) waste. So single is best if you can do it.

I'm not sure on the wattage of my bulbs, I can find out it's just everything is everywhere right now. I hate moving. I will be switching tanks this weekend. I am going to use the canister for now until I can work out a sump. Do I use Carbon? always did on my FW tanks but I am not sure on the SW.

As for the Brittle Star he was a greenish color. He was really cool but ya'll should've seen my 3 year old's face when he got up in the morning and couldn't find the "Nemo" I had just bought for him. The lady at the store said when I returned the star that she wasn't going to give me credit for the clown she sold me at the same time. "No Proof". Lucky me she shook up the star when transferring him to the tank and he spit out "nemo's" carcass. Full credit.

pendergraft2111 said:
As for the Brittle Star he was a greenish color. He was really cool but ya'll should've seen my 3 year old's face when he got up in the morning and couldn't find the "Nemo" I had just bought for him. The lady at the store said when I returned the star that she wasn't going to give me credit for the clown she sold me at the same time. "No Proof". Lucky me she shook up the star when transferring him to the tank and he spit out "nemo's" carcass. Full credit.

Glad it worked out for you!

ah...yeah..the green brittle stars are fish hunters/eaters. the other variations are fairly safe to add to the tank.

Some quick updates... I used the fluval for now... sump soon. No substrate but I kinda like it. The blue light is a 13 Watt compact florescent bulb... 5 dollars at Walmart... makes a great "moonlight"

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110531_223409.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110531_223409.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20110531_223511.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110531_223511.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 78
  • ForumRunner_20110531_223535.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110531_223535.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20110531_224055.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110531_224055.jpg