Switching to kalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
2 part was starting to get little expensive so i got a little tub of kalk. Im not exactly sure how to use it though since i dont have an ATO. I dont know what concentration to start off with. Any help?

Im going to try to use the kalk first if i can. And the brs article is good but its for using it with an auto top off unit. I just dont know what concentration to use and how much to drip in.

Max concentration is 2 tablespoons per gallon of RO water. I would start small at .5-1 tablespoons and work up as needed. Lime (kalk) has a ph of about 14 so you have to monitor your ph while dosing. Mix a gallon or so, place the container above your tank & start a siphon into your system. Tie a few knots in the airline so you get a drip every 2-3 seconds or so (monitoring your ph).

When you mix it, let it stand for 30 mins & do not dose the milky stuff at the bottom. Only mix the clear liquid.

Monitor your ph & Alk/Calcium & adjust your concentration accordingly.

Feeling really dumb asking this question lol my ph is at 8.2 right now and my calcium is only at 380-390 so how can i raise my calc without my PH getting higher?

If it helps at all, i cant really dose a whole gallon. I have no where to put the jug and i cant keep filling up a gatorade bottle 3 times a day

It's tough to raise calcium a lot with lime because of the ph swing. A swing of .2 ph is safe though. If you want a larger boost, you can add vinegar to your RO water which helps keep the ph down and increases the maximum lime you can mix to about 3tbsp/gallon.

What's your Alk at?

By the way, the ph rise is temporary. If you have a stable ph already your system will help buffer it back down to normal (after you stop dosing of course). This is why a small swing is ok (.2).

Back
Top Bottom