Switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
& my powerhead doesn't turn the waste around in my tank, I can't get it to point at the right direction without throwing all my sand around too..

I use gravel, but depending on the type of sand, I think some raise pH. Not sure though.

I always picture sand as a good beneficial bacteria holder and something easier to vacuum out.

I like gravel because it works better on some aquatic plants but of course right substrate for right fertilizer, so gravel is just a matter of opinion on aquatic plants.

Do sand! Try something new. Tell me how it works out as I am thinking of doing it too

Bobjoefredsky said:
I use gravel, but depending on the type of sand, I think some raise pH. Not sure though.

I always picture sand as a good beneficial bacteria holder and something easier to vacuum out.

I like gravel because it works better on some aquatic plants but of course right substrate for right fertilizer, so gravel is just a matter of opinion on aquatic plants.

Do sand! Try something new. Tell me how it works out as I am thinking of doing it too

Play sand won't raise pH. & the only sand that will raise pH naturally, is Cichlid Sand or anything with crushed coral..

So I finally bought my new sand substrate I'm using Carib sea for cichlids. Now I'm wondering when I change the old substrate how long so I have to cycle the tank and what do I do with my fish

Joostrom said:
So I finally bought my new sand substrate I'm using Carib sea for cichlids. Now I'm wondering when I change the old substrate how long so I have to cycle the tank and what do I do with my fish

I only put my fish in a bucket of tank water syphoned almost all of the water into a big trashcan(new bag! Lol) then removed gravel, added sand filled tank carefully & add fish.. Just make sure nothing dries out & your bacteria won't die.. You should be fine.. Good luck.

Just changed to sand lately. Take your fish out to do the change. I lost 3 because I left them in. Fish poo shows up on sand more, but at least you know that is all that is there. The stuff that comes out with the gravel is pretty gross.

Back
Top Bottom