Sword Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, hows everyone doing and hows everything going? Greeeeat... well heres the thing, bought this sword plant like 3-5 months ago (sorry can't remember) and it was flourishing... like grew a new leaf almost every 3 days, then I undug it multiple times trying to rescape my aquarium, and now its just sitting there andi believe new leaves are coming out from bottom, small ones. It grew another chunk next to it, could that be slowing it down? Its been like this for like 1 month already starting to get me worried, i did start adding API Leaf Zone and API co2 very recently, will it help. And what i would also love to know is what kind of sword is it, and is it growing new roots or what is stunting its growth? Thanks. I will post of a pic before, which is the big plant with few leaves, and a pic after the smaller plant with more small leaves, and a pic of the base of plant, thanks.

BEFORE>>> FIRST PICTURE
AFTER>>> OTHER 2 PICTURES

Attachments

• received_1071214986298750.jpg
    received_1071214986298750.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0277.jpg
    DSCF0277.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0278.jpg
    DSCF0278.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 63
It's buried too deep. It would be rotting the base out id imagine.

U need to raise it so that the chunky base is above the substrate but the roots are all buried.

Any plant with a rhizome needs to have it above the substrate.

Swords also love co2 dosed to the water Column so keep dosing that and it should recover.

Here were my swords buried about 1.5 inches in soil with another 2 inches of gravel on top of the roots.

Lots of column ferts and lots of co2.

IMG_1479571448.362367.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1479571315.142424.jpg
    IMG_1479571315.142424.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
What is pearling and my roots are completely burried as well, but apperently your not suuppose to bury the base of the plant...

What is pearling and my roots are completely burried as well, but apperently your not suuppose to bury the base of the plant...

Pearling is all those bubbles being released by the plants. It's a sign of healthy plants.

I've always kept mine above as I read somewhere that your ment to. Caliban is very experienced with swords though so I'd take his advice over mine.

I haven't seen better swords than his on this forum and his were grown in a nutrient rich substrate with high co2 and dry ferts dosed to EI method (Google EI dosing for more info on dry ferts)

Your plants will grow a lot slower than most on this forum due to the fact u use normal gravel/sand and most use nutrient substrates. Most also use pressurised co2 and dry powder ferts.

You need all of this to get rapid plant growth.
Low tech setup's like yours can easily be successful but things just take a little longer to grow out etc.

As I have said many times before its all about find the balance of light to ferts to co2. Once u find the right balance your plants will grow to there maximum potential.

I'd check out the ukaps forum and search for "low light setups" or "low tech info" and do abit of research about how to get the maximum potential out of your tank. The guys over at ukaps forum have been doing it for a long long time and have some seriously good info.

I read forums every day for over 2 months before I setup my tank and I still learn every day.

Keep up the research and u will eventually realise what needs to be done etc to maintain the tank the best u can ;)

Pearling is all those bubbles being released by the plants. It's a sign of healthy plants.

I've always kept mine above as I read somewhere that your ment to. Caliban is very experienced with swords though so I'd take his advice over mine.

I haven't seen better swords than his on this forum and his were grown in a nutrient rich substrate with high co2 and dry ferts dosed to EI method (Google EI dosing for more info on dry ferts)

Your plants will grow a lot slower than most on this forum due to the fact u use normal gravel/sand and most use nutrient substrates. Most also use pressurised co2 and dry powder ferts.

You need all of this to get rapid plant growth.
Low tech setup's like yours can easily be successful but things just take a little longer to grow out etc.

As I have said many times before its all about find the balance of light to ferts to co2. Once u find the right balance your plants will grow to there maximum potential.

I'd check out the ukaps forum and search for "low light setups" or "low tech info" and do abit of research about how to get the maximum potential out of your tank. The guys over at ukaps forum have been doing it for a long long time and have some seriously good info.

I read forums every day for over 2 months before I setup my tank and I still learn every day.

Keep up the research and u will eventually realise what needs to be done etc to maintain the tank the best u can ;)

Thanks Bert. I've killed more swords than I have grown I can tell you that.

I think a healthy plant will send enough oxygen to its root surroundings to enable us to bury them slightly. I've done this with most types of plants. I've shoved Anubias rhizomes under the substrate when I had nothing to tie them to.

Thanks for all the information guys, I already unburied the base, and am dosing API co2 daily, so I hope it will continue to grow like it used to...what about plants like Bacopa Caroliniana turning brownish but still green at the top?
thanks

Thanks for all the information guys, I already unburied the base, and am dosing API co2 daily, so I hope it will continue to grow like it used to...what about plants like Bacopa Caroliniana turning brownish but still green at the top?
thanks

Co2. Give the co2 booster time. They should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom