Swords?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NexVobis

Aquarium Advice Activist
What swords grow nice and long? In would like to add some to my discus tank as background plants.

NexVobis said:
What swords grow nice and long? In would like to add some to my discus tank as background plants.

Just about all of them.
I have a Bleheri Sword that is close to 20 inches tall and it is young. Also have an Amazon Sword that reached nearly two feet before I had an issue with it and had to trim it way back.

My favorite is Ruffle Sword (Echinodorus martii), then Amazon Swords (I have leaves about 27" long on mine) which are two of the tallest swords but there are a few others. For color you can try Red Melon Swords and Ozelot Swords that have green leaves with red mottling.

Ah ok. I'm gonna post a pic of the type of swords I have but mine seem to spread out width wise. They even have shooters going out. I want them to grow vertically, stronger light maybe?

Attachments

• image-2004158547.jpg
    image-2004158547.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image-3922795394.jpg
    image-3922795394.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 52
Swords grow like that. I noticed you have them planted alittle too deep. The crown where the leaves sprout out of should be above the substrate. I have two large amazon swords and I trim all outer leaves off so only the tall straighter middle ones are left. I do this because of the aquascaping and wanting the stem plants to have more room.

Rivercats said:
Swords grow like that. I noticed you have them planted alittle too deep. The crown where the leaves sprout out of should be above the substrate. I have two large amazon swords and I trim all outer leaves off so only the tall straighter middle ones are left. I do this because of the aquascaping and wanting the stem plants to have more room.

Yes I've actually noticed in others tanks that they have them a bit more above but I had probs with them uprooting and floating off. I've left them like that because I don't see them dying or yellowing. But I will try it with one since i do have 4 of them. Oh and only that one is planted like that, I sent a pic of the same plant. Heres another.

Attachments

• image-3840994556.jpg
    image-3840994556.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 46
Yes I've actually noticed in others tanks that they have them a bit more above but I had probs with them uprooting and floating off. I've left them like that because I don't see them dying or yellowing. But I will try it with one since i do have 4 of them. Oh and only that one is planted like that, I sent a pic of the same plant. Heres another.

I had a red melon sword that had too short of roots for the monster size of the leaves so what I did was used 3 rocks to sandwich the sword between which held it in the proper position. About 6 weeks later I removed the rocks and the sword was firmly rooted.

Back
Top Bottom