Swordtail babies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
After about a month sitting all alone in my 10g, one of my painted swords finally dropped her batch of fry! I figured it out when I was cleaning w/python and uh oh - that's not fish poop getting sucked up!!! Rescued 3 from the line but at least 2 made it into the toilet.

Got mama out a few hours later and covered the filter intake with a media bag and 1 day later I've counted at least 3 dozen fry. This mama is a cross between a rainbow/painted male and pineapple female and was born & raised in my tanks so this batch is 2nd generation. I'm excited to see what they look like!!!

I've sold or given away over 500 fry from the original mama, who is still alive but her eggs are all gone. Original Dad jumped a few months ago.

You might not be able to see these really well...they're so cute & tiny!

img_1172095_0_7b9b43502ced74688a4545244612fe86.jpg

img_1172095_1_deaa5612f0b2a7a6c229ec694e41f594.jpg

img_1172095_2_ff8ca652309509a3e3c3795fedae51f1.jpg

So far!

There are 2 different daddies, or the mommy had a mixture of genes (because she was a crossbreed). The Mom is a cross between a Pineapple female and a Painted/Rainbow male and is dominantly painted/rainbow. The dad could be one or either of a similar cross, or a result of a Pineapple Female/Mickey Mouse Red male which resulted in red mickeys with little traits from the Pineapple.

The fry in all cases have distinctive traits right off the bat. The ones that grow to be Red Mickeys look clearer as fry and their 'guts' are white/tan - those are the ones you can see very well in the pics. The ones that grow out to be painted/rainbows have more of a gray coloration and are not very transparent.

It's pretty interesting. I'll be very interested to see what they look like in 6 months. Unless I go all SW, then someone will get a big batch of fish.

My swordtail (i think) had fry on wednesday morning unexpectedly!
I have manged to catch 5 so far and keep spotting others.
Fingers crossed I get them

Back
Top Bottom