swordtail compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 30g is lookin a bit drab and lifeless with just my ctenpoma acutirostre , butterfly fish and kuhlis and want to add a bit of colour. Do you think a group of 3 swordtails would be compatable?

I do not know much about the fish you have other than the khulis, but if they are peaceful fish then the swordtails would make a lovely addition IMO :) They are some of my favorite fish and add color and variety to any community tank.

Well the ctenopoma and butterfly fish are peaceful predators. Neither of which bother my kuhlis. The ctenopoma may it small feeders but he isnt aggressive as such and is only approx 2" right now. And If it wont fit in his mouth he leaves it alone. If i put a 4th cricket in for the butterfly fish the ctenopoma has a good look but never attempts to eat it.

Am i right to think a swordtail gets to 10cm? (4") my ctenopoma only gets to 15cm(6") from what ive reaf

I have swordtails in my 56gal with cherry barbs, a clown loach, one diamond tetra and an albino algea eater. MY tank has lots of plants. The male swords just chase each other occasionally.

It could work. Depends, African butterflies have long fins that might be nipped by the swordtails (I've had nippy swordtails) so be careful about that.

Also, what's your filtration? Swordtails have quite the big bioload and three will produce quite a bit of poop.

To be honest i plan on buying bigger additional filters for both my tanks. Id prefer a much more oversized filter as it cant be a bad thing to have extras and backup filters for when it all goes wrong. Thanks for the speedy advice. Off to the lfs before closing!

You should be ok with the swords. I'd highly suggest adding another filter though; I have an internal Fluval U2 as well and it's a great filter but it's just barely enough for your tank size and with the fish you have you should have more filtration. I'd suggest running an AquaClear 50 HOB with your Fluval.

I was thinking of just up sizing for this tank and eventually moving the u2 into my 45g to keep it going. Maybe a u3 or something. Its gotta be internal filter due to lack of space

I was thinking of just up sizing for this tank and eventually moving the u2 into my 45g to keep it going. Maybe a u3 or something. Its gotta be internal filter due to lack of space

That sounds good too. A Fluval U4 should be sufficient for your tank if you wanted to keep the same one. I'd move the media from the U2 into the U4 though because if you completely change out the filter and use all new media you'll have to effectively recycle the tank.

Id run them both for a few months or would that cause a problem when i finally take one out?

No, a few months should be more than sufficient to seed the new filter. I'd check levels for a week or so after you remove it just to make sure there aren't any temporary toxin spikes but I don't foresee any major issues.

Thanks. Just lookin for a similar now filter id prefer a u3 or u4 but there are alot to choose from. Ill weigh up costs and advantages.

I think the U4 would be better for a 30 gal. The U3 is recommended for tanks up to 40 gals but that isn't much given the tank size and your stocking; bigger is always better when it comes to filters. :)

got my swordtails! got 2 female koi swordtails not sure what sort my male is, the girl at the lfs sure cause they were all supposed to be koi and it was in there by mistake. but look fantastic under the blue lamp. my perch has checked them out but he doesnt seem interested. already seem pretty settled in there so really pleased.

thanks

Attachments

• 20111231_194526.jpg
    20111231_194526.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom