Swordtail Problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deadmanwalking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone, I purchased 2 Female (both were pregnant), and 1 male swordtail today. Both females had sort of transparent poo coming out of them which then dropped in the tank. The pictures are the same as this: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...tail-tangerine

Anyway, they don't have it anymore, and my tank has had the "Nutrafin Cycle" product put into it on Christmas Day, Boxing day and on the day after boxing day.

Anyway, they are currently swimming around and sometimes trying to eat things from the driftwood. I also noticed white floating snail things and was wondering if the fish may have intestinal parasites. I was also thinking that it could be stress.

Please let me know if the fish will be okay, and if there is anything I can do ASAP. Thanks!

The clear poo tells me tht they had an internal illness, but with the regular poo color returned my guess is it has passed, could you describe the white floating snails?

Thanks so much for your reply! I was seriously freaking out, lol. And one was having black poo but the other's most recent poo was white - and that fish also started getting a tad aggressive. Do you think it's a pregnancy thing considering that the male hasn't had any of this? And there was a big one, and then a smaller one. They had like a white thing behind them and they were also white-ish (it looked a bit like a miniature turtle in a way) and then it had like whiskers coming off its eyes. There was a bit of red in it too, and the big one just floated up the side of the glass and we then got rid of it. The smaller one is somewhere on the gravel at the moment.

Also, just out of interest: do you know how long swordtails are normally pregnant for?

Thanks so much again!!

Also, just in case this helps: the one which wasn't giving off transparent poo anymore has something hanging from it, sort of like a worm.

Sorry if i'm giving too much info.

Nah more info the better! I think when you got them they where sick ( the clear stringy poo) and the one that has regular poo who now has a work coming out of her sounds like collumaris (sp?) i don't know too much about treating it but at least you have a name to look around with.

Hehe, okay - thank you! And Ah, I see. Do you not think that it could just be stress, no?

And also, do you think I should be worried about this? Or not?

Just as a side note: one of the fish ate something then spat it out (they have all been spitting stuff out) and the thing looks a bit like a small green worm.

Thanks again!!

Hehe, okay - thank you! And Ah, I see. Do you not think that it could just be stress, no?

And also, do you think I should be worried about this? Or not?

Just as a side note: one of the fish ate something then spat it out (they have all been spitting stuff out) and the thing looks a bit like a small green worm.

Thanks again!!

I dont think stress would cause clear poo, and it is something to be worried about, if they have it then i would watch the rest of the tank for it a swell. And on the spitting things out note, that. Sounds normal, just being curious to see if it is food, then realizing it wasn't.

Well, i've had a quick look around and I doubt that it is collumaris. I also happened to notice that people thought that this was either stress related, parasite related or that it was the normal. And someone else also said that they had just bought swordtail fish which had the same problem (the transparent poo).

Whoops! Sorry, I never noticed your reply there. Thank goodness that the spitting things out is normal, and I also think it'd be worth noting that the tank is apparently mid-way through cycle but to the point that it's okay to add these hardy fish (according to the LFS employees, I think I should note).

One of the fish also has a pink spot next to its eye that I had never noticed before, but I am beginning to think that that has always been there.

I could try and take pictures if that will help?

Also thought I should note that the only other fish now with the worm-type thing (that isn't transparent) just let go of it (i'm thinking that was just poo though).

Sorry for the running commentary, lol.

Pictures may help and you can add them if youd like, im hoping somebody else will chime in on this a swell.

Back
Top Bottom