Swordtail Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been in the hobby for many years but never seriously messed around with Swordtails that much. Several months ago I got a group of semi-adult Painted Swords to breed for a summer project. They are Pumpkin Orange and Balck. They have dropped several batches of fry and each batch gets larger which is normal. Just by chance, one female is in a tank away from the others with a few other fish and she has dropped fry as she was pre-hit when I got her. Apparently, the breeder I got her from was doing a little genetics science project with this line of Swordtails. The odd female looks just like her sisters only she drops painted, koi and now black & white fry. The first drop produced one really nice koi female along with painted fry. The next drop a greater percentage, say 20% koi and the rest painted. The third drop produced about 20% ,5% black and white and the rest painted.

My question is does anyone know the genetics behind this occurance? I'm thinking I might go out an obtain a few Koi and Black and White Swrodtails and segragate the color varieties. That will be costly as it may total $60-$70 if not more. I really don't want to cross them to each other as there is a good chance the gene pattrens are unstable at this point. If anyone has ideas or know more about this I'm looking for answers.--Thanks

Back
Top Bottom