Swordtail with white marks. Raised scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lee_0082

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering if anyone can help me figure out why my swordtail has white marks on it's body. Doesn't really look like ich to me. But I did notice that she also has raised scales slightly and looks droopy. She's breathing rapidly as well. I can post a pic.

I actually did just do a water change last night so it's odd this is happening.

image-1174469696.jpg

That looks like ich to me. From the picture that is what it appears to be. You can put it in a quarantine or hospital tank to treat it, but chances are its elsewhere in your tank. Do a search on here and you will find various methods for the treatment.

Good luck and velvet swords, in my experience aren't very robust fish. I like the montezuma and greens myself. Keep us updated

This actually only popped up a couple of days ago. :(. I have been slowly raising the temperature and I decided to go with ich attack rather than the salt approach due to the good reviews I've seen on this forum. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

I thought I had replied to this thread earlier but I guess not. Can Ich cause raised scales though? I'm wondering if it's Dropsy, or a bacterial or fungus infection?

I'm not really sure. I thought dropsy had like symptoms of a swollen belly. It kind of looks like a fungus to me but I am no expert. I did take another couple of pictures tho. Hopefully they will show up better.

image-1477650224.jpg

image-14649369.jpg

It almost looks like her scales are damaged. It's so wierd. But looking down on her she has the white spots on each side of her body.

I think you are right because it is fluffy. Now to find out how to treat fungus with plants. And thanks for all of the links!

Back
Top Bottom