Swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a major temperment differences in Platys and swordtails? For our 75 gallon we wanted to get some fish that will swim at the top (we have platys that go all over the place in our 36g) Seeing as we love our Platys we thought of getting swordtails for our 75 gallon. They seem to look simmilar, and act the same so I was just curious.
:thanks::dance::D(y)

I would think that the swordtails have similar behavior in community tanks with the platys and mollies. All three appear to explore all aspects of the tank -- unlike my tetras and rainbows that usually hang-out in certain parts of the tank.

I have a male Swordtail in my 20 Tall. He usually hangs out at or near the top. The only real exception I have noticed is feeding time.

Yeah thats what I figured. I wanted to make sure there wasnt some hidden aggression in swordstails that I didnt read.

I have mine with Neons, guppies, and a pair of Electric Blue Rams and have had no problems at all. He doesn't hide much, if at all, but he isn't an aggressive fish either.

h2oskierc said:
I have a male Swordtail in my 20 Tall. He usually hangs out at or near the top. The only real exception I have noticed is feeding time.

Your swordtail is ok in your 20 tall? I really wanted one but was discouraged because I was told they get between 4 and 5 inches!

He seems fine, I just did some digging online, and it looks like they do get to around 4" or so. Wouldn't surprise me if I got bad advice at the LFS I guess...

Some places say that a 20G tank is fine, others say that it has to be a 20 Long, and still others say it needs to be larger. Gah!

Time to look for a new home for him perhaps.

h2oskierc said:
He seems fine, I just did some digging online, and it looks like they do get to around 4" or so. Wouldn't surprise me if I got bad advice at the LFS I guess...

Some places say that a 20G tank is fine, others say that it has to be a 20 Long, and still others say it needs to be larger. Gah!

Time to look for a new home for him perhaps.

I had the same problem. I had my heart set on him and then I had a few responses all saying he gets to big. Made me sad! If there's one thing I learned from this site is that I don't ever listen to the tank sizes the lfs say. I write down what I like and post it on here.

I never seen a swordtail get 4". Are you including the tail in the size? If so, it would easily add 1"-2". I am actually looking into getting a male sword tail in the next few weeks --- I only have a female since the male died from my male betta harrassment.

I never seen a swordtail get 4". Are you including the tail in the size?
I believe that does include the "tail" (isn't actually a tail at all, but the male sex organ). Have you been told a 20 is OK? Online there is a lot of different mixed information.

Sadly, we bought him before I found out about AA. We will just rehome him. Maybe I will turn my tank into just EBRs and Neons...

I was thinking of getting a pair of rams for my 75 as well. Ive always wanted them

I would assume the is the "tail" included as well. I was not told if you but was told by library girl that they get about 4/5" and that's to large for the 20 tall I have.

I'm very happy I found AA cuz I was about to buy 5 tiger barbs and quickly found out on here they are not suitable although the lfs told me they would be just fine

I would assume the is the "tail" included as well. I was not told if you but was told by library girl that they get about 4/5" and that's to large for the 20 tall I have.

I'm very happy I found AA cuz I was about to buy 5 tiger barbs and quickly found out on here they are not suitable although the lfs told me they would be just fine

yeah they always say the fish are fine to make sales. SOMETIMES you get the ones that will make better suggestions. Ours always asks what kind of fish we have first. We made the mistake of even buying serpae tetras to put in with our Platys last year. They were total fin nippers and we had to take them out

caitlynnanne9189 said:

When I first got my 5gal my lfs told me that I could have 5 goldfish and a couple of bamboo shrimp. Back then I wasn't fish smart and didn't know any better. After that I learned not to listen to most of my lfs people, that and friends.

I think the main difference between platys and swordtails is their size really. Not only do swordtails get big, but that does also mean a bigger bioload. All of my swordtails are huge, and my platys are small. I have five swordtails and they are between 3-5 inches. The females are bigger, not including the male's tails. My males are kind of skinny and long, but the females are just more plump and wide. All my platys are 1-2 inches.

Yea I wanted something a little bigger in the tank so I think swordtails will be cool

Back
Top Bottom