Swtiching tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I have a 55 gallon tank. It's a planted community tank and it's been running for a year (wow! A year already!) I recently acquired a fully equipped 35 gallon hex tank off Craigslist- it's fully set up and cycled. I want to have some larger fish. Cichlids maybe. So I need to move my community fish into my 35 and then figure out what I want to put in the 55.

Going into the 35 will be :
2 rummynose tetras
5 neon tetras
1 male swordtail
3 long fin leopard danios
2 zebra nerite snails
Some Malaysian trumpet snails
5-8 ghost shrimp.

I will be adding about 5 more rummy nose tetras once I trade my platies at the LFS. I will be leaving 8 platies in the 55 while I wait to trade them in. Then I can figure out what fish to get for my 55 without worrying that my BB will die.

I need to know the best way to move my plants. I have argentine swords, wisteria, a crypt, and lemon Bacopa that I want to transfer to the smaller tank. They have a good root system under the sand. So just pull them up as gently as I can and try to keep the roots intact?

Obviously I will have to keep an eye on the 55 for spikes since I know I'll be stirring up the sand.

Anyway, is there any thing to look out for or anything you have found to make this process easier?

Most plant may be all plants ( not sure) the root system can be trimmed back. That will make things a little easier on you when putting them in the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom