T12 bulb for lighting tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
My t8 light is dying because I left it on all night and all day one day. And now it's barely lighting the tank so could I use a T12 fluorescent shop light bulb for the light.

If your not growing plants or coral you can use whatever light you want with shop lights I suspend them higher to avoid corrosion but I would say the bulb is old leaving it on for days and days would not burn it out I would just buy a replacement bulb it's probably cheaper anyways

Agreed. Leaving florescent lights on for 24 hours or longer is not going to have an effect. You probably just need to replace the bulb.

Using a T12 Bulb

My t8 light is dying because I left it on all night and all day one day. And now it's barely lighting the tank so could I use a T12 fluorescent shop light bulb for the light.

Hello Fish...

Hard to believe the bulb would go bad just for leaving it on for a long time. Anyway, yes you can use a T12. It won't shine as brightly as the 8, but will spread the light over a little larger area. I use 6500 K, T12s in some of my tanks. The 12s work a little better in short, wide tanks, but try it and find out.

B

The T12 may or may not work depending on the ballast in the fixture. You cantry it, but new T8s are around $4 at HD, and similar stores.

Thanks.... I put it in an I dont like how It looks I guess I just go get more t8's

Back
Top Bottom